traveling for 13 hours with a 1year old that doesn't want to sit down any advice?

it is a day flight and the best i can hope for is 5hours of sleep.she doesn't color yet or watch dvd's for too long.Help!

megan312

Asked by megan312 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I think you could warn everyone else that is going to be on that flight, so they can reroute this plans. Seriously, this would be hell for me as a passenger to deal with. Yikes... I would seriously be giving you all the evil eye the whole time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Ask to be seated near other families traveling with young children. Walk her up & down the aisle when possible.

Pack bottles or sippy cups and refill them from the beverage cart. (TSA lets you bring a "reasonable amount" of breast milk, formula or juice, you just have to declare it @ the security checkpoint.) Make sure she's drinking or sucking on something during takeoff & landing. Pack lots of snacks. Pack teething gel & infant tylenol if she's teething.

Put lots of small toys in your carry-on. Try getting 10-15 new little toys from the dollar store so you can give her a new one every hour. Dress her in layers and bring a blanket b/c those cabins can get very warm or cold. Put her in shoes that go on & off easily. Dress yourself in comfy layers too. Pack more diapers & wipes than you think you'll need.

Good luck!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/index.shtm
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 1:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• the plane ride might be so new and exciting that it wont be as bad as you are making it out to be. just pack toys and drinks and snacks. maybe get some new snacks to try to keep her entertained longer?
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 1:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• oh, and dont worry about snooty people that "give u the evil eye" if people look, then tell them to shove it.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 1:24 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Amen to what mrsjosey said! I've been flying with my son 1-2 time a year since he was 6 weeks old. For every person who gives you the evil eye for bringing a child on a plane, there are 20 parents & grandparents around you that have been there and may even volunteer to help you. I've met quite a few angels during our travels.
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 1:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Maybe now would be a good time to introduce her to crayons and coloring books?? Really don't let others make yolu feel bad on the plane!! They can just deal with it!! Good advice above though!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I agree ask to be seated somewhere ewhere you can have extra room so need be you guys can move around and yes near other parents. I flew with my family overseas and how they sat us my son ended up at 4 acrossed the aisle from me (had the baby) and my husband and other child was the row ahead of us. My son spent the flight next to an older lady who didn't speak any english but her and my son have the most wonderful time. They colored, watched a movie and shared snacks. Not everyone will be a butt. His eyes got so wide when she brought out a huge bag of candy opened it tapped me on the arm smile and pointed to my son. Of course candy strangers would make most parents cinge.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Get a few new toys (quiet toys so not to annoy anyone) some new special treats and drinks to keep things interesting.
    We traveled with my son when he was 9 months old, so a few month younger, but we gave him things like yogurt juice which he had never had before when he would get fussy and the new taste got him interested enough to calm down.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:10 AM on Dec. 29, 2009