Is $120/session a good price for pre-marital counseling?

Our wedding is about 6 months out and we really want to do pre-marital counseling because we feel we need it and the courthouse will give us a discount on the marriage license if we do. We were referred to someone by our rabbi and that was her fee. I think it's fair but my boyfriend thinks it's too high. Whose right? Or are we both wrong and the price is low? We live in the Atlanta area. Also, does anyone know anywhere we can get a good price on counseling in our area?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 12:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• TACC offers pre-martial workshops for $125 a couple so I would say that what you were quoted is about right.

http://www.trainingandcounselingcenter.org/premarital_workshops

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:27 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Why would the Rabbi charge for something he is SUPPOSED to do? This service is free from most Christian pastors.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Anon 2:23 read the question. I think it's right for your area. We paid $100 in a smaller community.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• We got free premarital counseling from the pastor that performed our ceremony.

Answer by missanc at 9:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• WAY TOOOO MUCH! The preacher at our church ( we are in the Chicago land area) actually requires it if he is doing the wedding for you and recommends it if not and it is totally free. At the church is Michigan we moved from, premarital counseling is totally free. I would ask around at your church or other like churches. Christian leaders SHOULD do that for free. It is actually a studied statistic that it decreases divorce.
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2009