Do you teach your children to have respect for their elders?

I constantly come across children who are very disrespectful and just plain rude nowadays and I just want to slap them! Children are having too many children and not teaching them proper behavior and respect.

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Respect, yes. Trust, no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Oh, God, here we go again. Can you not think of anything else to ask on CM? Yes, I teach my child to respect everyone. And yes, we all know that you think children are of a lower life form than you and don't deserve respect themselves.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Yes I can think of other things to ask and I have. Different people are on at different times and I like to hear different answers because I experience the same disrespect soooo very often. I do think children deserve the respect of a child but not the same as an adult, it is animals which I KNOW (not think) are lower life forms and do not deserve respect.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• my daughter is 3, and while i try to teach her to be nice to others (especially elders) - but i dont want to teach her to lie to people to protect their feelings. thats worse than telling the truth. and since shes only 3, she doesnt understand the concept of sugar-coat. we will work on that as we go.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 1:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I teach my children to respect everyone. It doesn't matter if they're adults or not. They aren't rude, they use their manners, they don't insult or belittle people, etc. They also address adults by Miss __ (first name) or Mr ___ (first name), or by Mr. / Mrs. / Ms./Miss ___ last name.

However, I do not teach them to be subservient to them. For example, just as I would not tolerate them being rude and obnoxious to an adult, they don't have to stand there and take an adult being rude to them, either. They have every right to say to them, excuse me, but I really don't think this is your concern. Or, I'm sorry, but that's private, and I don't have to tell you that, or, Pardon me, but I was in this line. I believe that gentleman there is the last person in it...

Manners and respect need to be taught and enforced, but they are a 2 way street.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• cont

Now, there are some things that are a courtesy issue that age does come into play. For example, both my kids (who are teens, btw) do things like stand up and offer their seat to an elderly person or someone who is disabled or pg or has small kids, etc when, say, riding on public transportation. They do yard work and etc to help those who are, due to age or circumstances, unable to do do for themselves, etc. But that is a courtesy that I have taught them. If, say, an older person got on the metro and DEMANDED that a kid get up and give them a seat is being JUST as rude (if not more so) than my kid who was sitting there.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:46 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I teach my children kindness and compassion, not respect. I believe respect is earned, not handed out freely to anyone who demands it.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Well if you are being as belligerent and rude to children as you are on this website I can imagine why the children are rude and disrespectful towards you. And I don't understand why you had to blame young mothers fo disrespctful children it's not as if they are the only ones with rude children but that's awhole different issue. I hope you understand one day that not everyone needs to think like you or raise their children the way you do to make a wonderful world.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:20 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• There is NO option.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2009