How I can Make sure that my son with speech problem, will be speak like other normal kids ?

He can speak now. He cannot speak but only say 'Abah', that what he call his father, when he turned two. He's been see speech therapist every 3 months for 1 hour session. So, how can I be sure he will speak normal like other kids?

Shalwa

Asked by Shalwa at 12:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• get him a speech therapist. they have them in most public schools. most kids under 5 "talk funny"
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:46 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i think he eventually will if you let the school work with your son alot. i have 2 sons that had speech problems but only one that had it majorly. the teacher's worked with them alot and they did a great job over the years, my sons are now 8 and 11 but when they were in preschool, it was horrible, only my family members knew what the worst of the two was talking about but if he talked to other strangers, they didnt know.

the teachers do know what to do by listening and watching your child. they did a great job with mine.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Have the speech therapist teach you exercises to do with your child; or find a book at the library.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• What did the people who evaluated his speech say? Do they know what is causing the delay? What do they expect? Start there....then make sure he gets the therapy he needs, and follow through with practice and exercises as recommended.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:34 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• The speech therapist said, yes he have delay in speech. His level of thinking of 2 years old. I think I blame myself most of the time because of this problems. I dont speak as much as I supposed too when he is a baby. The speech therapist help me by teaching me how to increase my son vocab. thats sort of things. He can speak now. But most of the times he need to repeat what he's saying cos not so clear. I feel sad whenever I hear the kids at playground make fun of the way he talk. I try to ignore cos I know I will hear thats cruel remarks until he can speak normally.
    Shalwa

Answer by Shalwa at 10:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009