How important is Folate (B9) consumption during pregnancy?

I have been craving vegetables like collard greens and spinach. I thought maybe I was lacking iron and maybe a tad bit anemic because I have also been chewing ice (which my aunts doctor said that is something some people with anemia do). But I looked up collard greens and spinach nutrition, and while both contain iron the amount is not alot. BUT they both contain Folate in higher amounts. Could I be lacking enough folate? I am taking my vitamins every day. Should I talk to my doctor about this. It seems that these are the only foods I want to eat or that taste good when I do eat them. And when you crave food your body is telling you that you need something in that food.

MamaCass05

Asked by MamaCass05 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is crucial for the proper early development of the baby so there is no defects

truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• craving ice is also a sign of diabetes. although i would crunch on a 20 lb bag a week and they said i didnt have it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2009