Do you think a child working in showbiz is in "child labor"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I asked the same question about a month ago. My dd is a little actress and I was seriously thinking of not letting her on the set again because of what most child stars have turned to. eg Britney Spears.
    Anyway, I didn't do it. They're now shooting a film and my daughter works 5-6 hours a day and she's really happy about it. You have just to work everything out like school. If the kid is an average B student, I say why not? Of course there must be time to study. My daughter is in 5th grade now and her grades were not that good last year so now she's homeschooled. She's doing a lot better and has much more time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My daughter wants to be an actress and she's asked me to take her to auditions. I didn't do it and for the time being I won't. She's not even six yet, she can't possibly know what she wants to do with her life. I will wait some years before I actually do take her to an audition.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 12:58 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• that depends on if your child thinks of it as a "job" or not. if they are having fun, i would say no. but if they hate it, and dont want to do it anymore- then yes.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I think if its fun and its what they want to do then go for it. I know there are bad examples out there but look at people like jennifer love hewitt, her mom did an amazing job with her as a child actor.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:07 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Yes, I do consider it child labor, and I do think it is risky to let a child live that kind of lifestyle. There are some kids who have done it and havr grown up fine, but I think it is more common for the kids to be damaged by it. No matter how you look at it, it is work. Even if the child enjoys it, it is still work. When a child works it distorts things in the family and in the child's mind. You asked my opinion.... I do think you can protect your child from the bad effects, but you have to be extremely vigilant and careful in order to do that. This is not something to take lightly or just to assume it will be okay. If you don't manage it extremely carefully it most assuredy will not be okay.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2009