Almost 30 weeks pregnant and has a cold :(

ok so i have the worst cold ever..runny stuffy nose sore throat coughing the works..does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can take or do to atleast feel better??

THANKS :)

MomOfTwo2010

Asked by MomOfTwo2010 at 1:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When I am sick during pregnancy or even when I'm not I tough it out cause I am not big on medicine. Cough medicine makes me throw up and sinus medication gives me cotton mouth and makes me sleepy. I can say to stay away from any herbal supplements or medications that have alcohol in it. But always check with your doctor first about medication. Until you can reach your OB drink some hot tea with lemon and honey for your throat, have a humidifier near you especially when you sleep. If you have any Eucalyptus essential oil put a few drops in a pot of water and boil it. You can also put damp socks on your feet with a dry pair over top ( seems weird I know but it works) to draw out congestion, or vicks on the bottom of your feet with socks on that will help as well. I learned those tricks a week ago! Hope you feel better soon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Sorry you are feeling bad mama, hope you feel better soon. Thats all I got sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My Ob gave me a paper and you can take sudafed and regular robitussin and of course tylenol. Good luck and feel better.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces. Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient. Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother. Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.). I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better