Is one better than the other? Share with me.

Single parent homes versus two-parent homes.

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 1:10 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think one is better than the other. I think different family environments can be better over others. For example, I know a single mom who works 8-5 and spends evenings and weekends with her child. I also know a couple that they pretty much ignore their children and send them to their rooms as much as possible. They don't interact with the children at all. So, in this situation the single parent scenario is better. It really all boils down to having your priorities start and spending time with your family as much as possible when you can.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• A two parent home is ideal. I believe that nature made it necessary to have a man and a woman necessary to conceive for a reason! That being said, things don't always work out and people do best with what they have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• OK. Now let's not get stupid on this answer. Of course two parent family is better. Let's not kid ourselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Anon 1:17, So you are saying that it would be best for a child to stay in an abusive home rather than the mother and child leave and become a single parent home to get away from the violence?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i think it depends on the parents. for me- a one parent home is perfect cuz i dont have to go to DS's biodad about disciplining methods. its all on me. but if the parents were on the same page, it'd be fine with a 2 parent home.. example- lets say DS was 10 and decided to smoke pot. his biodad would give him a high 5 and roll a blunt to smoke with him. i'd beat his ass- not literally, but there'd be grounding, punishment and no high 5's... but if both parents agree that its not acceptable and agree with the terms of discipline- then its all good.

(lol i have a sharing problem so i say a single parent home is better)
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 4:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It depends on the parents

Answer by rkoloms at 7:40 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Ideally two parent home is better, that is the way it was set up to be. Of course, there are exceptions. If one of the parents is unfit, or dies, or whatever. Sometimes it is better for the child and the parents to be in a single parent home. It all just depends on the circumstances. But ideally, if both parents are "normal", it is best to have both parents in the home. Sadly, it doesn't work out that way sometimes.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:10 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• A two parent home is best. I was raised in a one parent home. When my mom went out (clubbing/bars) or she was working etc my great grandma or my moms parents (grandparents) watched me and raised me. My dad and mom divorced when i was 1 years of age. I am now married with two kids, one more on the way and been with the same man (father of my kids) since Dec 2003. I never ha a dad growing up and i am the only child too.
    Anonymous