What is your opinion on this topic?

Home-schooling versus Public Schools.

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 1:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in

• We move a lot (my dh is in the military). We have seen tons of different schools in all parts of the world. We also have friends who homeschool, and we have friends who have sent their kids to private schools.

There isn't a "best way". Some public schools are great - great staff, great curriculum, great programs, great mix of kids, etc. There are some that are crap, for all of the same reasons the others are great. Same with private schools. Same with homeschooling. I've known people who homeschooled and their kids were very poorly educated, very antisocial, and had a lot of issues. I've also known people whose homeschooled kids were very involved, well educated, well socialized, etc.

And even if it's great for one, doesn't mean it's great for all. We have friends here who homeschool some of their kids and send others to school, because it's what works best for each child.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:54 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• home schooling is great if you have the patience for it i guess. i do not, so my kids certainly learn more & learn it better then if I had to try to teach them. I admit I'd be no good at it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I don't think one is better than the other. I think is depends on WHO is doing the teaching.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I personally believe compulsory education is a very negative and inefficient way of going about learning and don't agree with "school" at all...at least not the way we currently define school. But I think that ultimately every family has to do what they feel works best for them.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:33 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It depends on the schools and the parents. I could not come close to providing my daughter with the quality of education that she is getting from Chicago Public Schools; a comparable private school would cost in excess of $30,000 a year.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:06 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• when done conscientiously it can provide a wonderful breadth and depth of education.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:57 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Both work depending on the kid.
    I personally wouldn't be able to give my kids a proper education myself so I'll be public schooling but I've known home schooled kids who do great as well.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Homeschooling is best for a select few. Public school is best for most. Don't even get me started on private schools. grrr. Personally, I'm a supporter for public school.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If I am the teacher I believe public schools! LOL Not that I am horrible but for some reason I am not good at teaching my son yet his teacher gets him to learn so much! My 5 yr old I can teach but she is now at a Montossorri School that she loves. I could not see home schooling in their primary years because my kids love the social interaction but I could see doing it as they get older possibly.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It depends entirely on the child and the parent and the school. There is no one best fit for all families.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 1:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2009