DOES THE DRUG CHANTIX REALLY WORK?

My sister is a smoker. She smokes about 1 1/2- 2 packs a day. She wants to quit and seen the commercial for Chantix but she's afraid of the side affects of the drug. She told me to ask around to see if anyone else has tried it and to find out if it really works. I thought what a better place to ask around at. Also, if you haven't tried Chantix but tried another drug that worked please let me know.

iminluvwita

Asked by iminluvwita at 1:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Health

• My dh used it a year and a half ago. He was given a 4 month script for it, but he was able to quit in 2 months. And he was a SERIOUS chain smoker, I cant even count how many packs a day he went through. There were some side effects, I think mostly an upset stomach, but as long as he ate before taking it, it helped and he said was soooooo worth it.
    Tell her to talk to her MD about it. There have ben cases of other side effects and now Pfizer has to list them naturally, in order to keep the public informed, but dh only dealt with a little nausea.
    My dh works in the pharma industry and closely follows alot of the drugs out there.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 1:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• A friend of mine took it for about a month and a half, she had quit. Then she stopped taking it and the first time stress hit, she started smoking again. She is planning to start taking it again in Jan. I am hoping to get some too, I am planning to try to quit in Jan too. My friend said the dr told her you have to continue to take it for several months after you quit, even up to a year. She had no side effects.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2009