Can Mothers Handle These Controversial Issues? Share your opinion.

1) Corporal Punishment in Schools and Homes

2) Nature versus Nurture: Is Homosexuality Learned or Genetic?

3) The Growing Rate of Obesity and the Dangers to Our Children

4) Religious Freedoms

5) Single-Parent Homes versus Two-Parent Homes: Which Is Better?

6) Home-Schooling versus Public Schools

7) Does Racism Still Exist in These Modern Times?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 1:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh IDK I am so fragile

not a chance, violence only teaches violence

it is genetic you cannot teach someone to be gay or not gay, this is why the APA took it off the list of mental disorders in the 80's this is proven
    How about the growing rate of parents who over feed their lazy children
    4) Religious Freedoms
    what about them??
    depends on the situation neither is absolutely always better than the other
    6) Home-Schooling versus Public Schools
    again this all depends on the schools and the situation. We have school of choice and my DD will go to charter, I am not capable of homeschooling with my schedule and lack of organizational skills so for us as public is the best choic
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 1:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I'm going to take #6. My sister home-schooled all three of her children and a friend of mine home-schooled her three kids. My sisters kids are socially stunted and reclusive. They have very little, if any, social skills and couldn't pass a test if their life depended on it. My friend's kids are also socially inept but are brilliant. I believe that intelligence is a great thing but there is a need to share that intelligence by integrating into society. Intelligence should be shared and I fear that home-schooled children do not have the ability to blend socially in order to share their intelligence.
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 1:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• (con't)
    Yes I don't think anyone will deny this
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 1:31 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I saw some of your earlier (inflammatory) posts, and I read your post a bit ago, where you explained the reasoning for them - that you're doing research for a paper, and invited moms to post anon as well. The thing is though, it's not a question of whether moms can discuss this issue or not. The simple fact of the matter is you don't KNOW that everyone on here IS a mom (I could be a 16 yr old kid playing with my mom's computer, or a 45 yr old guy living in my parent's basement for all you know...)

Also, when people post anon, you have no idea if it's the same person posting more than once. I actually saw a question here once where someone answered, then, a couple of answers later, posted "great answer, I agree ___ then the person's name" - the thing is, they forgot to check the anon box LOL - they were agreeing with themselves! When I laughed and pointed that out, she deleted it.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If I were an editor & you submitted an article based on "research" on here, well, frankly I would reject it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Also, each of these topics should, to be at all discussed in a reasonable way, taken one at a time. Otherwise, it's not really a topic, it's more of a mess. Sort of like having 5 different radios playing at the same time, all with different songs. Each song might be a good one in and of it's own right, but all playing at one time, it's just an audio mess so to speak.

One other thing to keep in mind, these topics aren't as clear cut as people often think. Take, for example - a debate that was going on for quite awhile in our own government - torture. Every reasonable person believes that torture is wrong. However, what, exactly, is your definition of torture? One person might consider water boarding to be torture, but not blasting music at a compound (as we did in Panama yrs ago), where someone else might think they both are, or someone else might think neither is torture. But, they ALL agree that torture is wrong.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• So let me get this straight? You couldnt just be happy with it posted in a group here so you had to take each part of this question and repost it as its own question in just about every other section?
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Can I handle it? Sure. Without getting my panties all in a wad? Yep. Can other moms? Some of them, yeah. Some can't. To answer: Corporal punishment in schools: no. Homosexuality: not an issue for me. Fat children: I'm sad for them and our culture. There are things we can do. Religious Freedom: I believe in it and religious tolerance. I do not judge single parent or two parent homes as either being better than the other. All families are different. Home schooling vs traditional schools: parent's choice. Racism: live with it every day. So yes, it still exists.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:10 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• ) Corporal Punishment in Schools and Homes - No

2) Nature versus Nurture: Is Homosexuality Learned or Genetic? Heterosexuals are born heterosexuals; homosexuals are born homosexuals

3) The Growing Rate of Obesity and the Dangers to Our Children - One third of American children born in this decade will develop type 2 diabetes. One half of our children are both overweight and undernourished. We need to eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes; drink more water; cut way back on (or eliminate) meat and dairy.

4) Religious Freedoms - part of what make America great

5) Single-Parent Homes versus Two-Parent Homes: Which Is Better? - depends on the parents...

6) Home-Schooling versus Public Schools - depends on the schools and the skill of the parents

7) Does Racism Still Exist in These Modern Times? Absolutely

Answer by rkoloms at 7:00 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• 1) Corporal Punishment in Schools and Homes - If the parents are ok with it then I am as long as the children aren't really hurt (i.e. I'm ok with spanking and forced to do chores when misbehaving but not abusing the children)

2) Nature versus Nurture: Is Homosexuality Learned or Genetic? - It is genetic. It has basically been proven. But of course there will be a few individuals who choose it due to issues they have had to deal with.

3) The Growing Rate of Obesity and the Dangers to Our Children - It's a damn shame that people can't make their kids go outside and play and make them real meals instead of fast food every night.

4) Religious Freedoms - As long as they aren't harming anyone then I'm all for it

CONTINUED....
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:06 AM on Dec. 29, 2009