Looking for an electric pump that will WORK

I was a big dumbo and started pumping when my baby was 1 month old. My pump broke and our feeding schedule was thrown completely off whack so now my daughter is half breast/ half formula fed. I don't like it! I am looking for a great electric pump but I'm scared to buy a new one. I've been reading reviews and I have to be skeptical about all of them because I have no clue what other moms' breasts are like! I had an evenflo comfort select single electric model, I liked it until the suction dwindled away and now it doesn't suck at all! I want a pump I can use EVERY DAY atleast 2 times a day. I have size C breasts, large areolas and tiny nipples (I have to use a nipple shield because there is barely anything to latch onto). My breasts aren't very sensitive so I wouldn't mind a powerful pump that may seem painful to others. I am trying to keep it under $100. ANY input is appreciated especially if you have similar breasts!

momma_shuler

Asked by momma_shuler at 2:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know you asked for a electric brand...however... I used the medela Dual pump electric and thought i loved it until. I purchased the madela hand pump. it was equally effective, cheap and was small.

MRSnMOTHER

Answer by MRSnMOTHER at 5:31 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• You can rent hospital grade pumps from medical supply stores or even the hospital those sucker can get milk out of one of your pores. I believe they rent them on a sliding scale, also if you are eligible for WIC they will get you a hospital grade one. I used a dual pump that had col shields but can't remember the brand I got it at walmart for about 80 bucks. Lanisnoh maybe gosh I can't remember I will look for it and let you know.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:02 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• A good electric pump will run you $150 and up. You really can't get away with less than that.

Evenflo = evilflo for reasons you've already learned.

Ameda Purely Yours or the Lansinoh pump are in the $150 range. Ameda is tried and true.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:11 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My Ameda was awesome. I had to pump exclusively and it did the job great.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• So you're EPing? 2-3 months is an excellent time to get a baby back to the breast... how often do you try to latch her?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Have you tried to just put her to the breast? It may take some trying but I bet you can do it! Doesnt hurt to try and its MUCH cheaper than buying an expensive pump.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 1:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• She's still breastfeeding. But since she's so used to the bottle she doesn't quite breastfeed like she should. She's very lazy and it puts her to sleep because she thinks it's night time (I breast feed mostly at night)
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 10:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I never did have much luck with the electric pumps. I always had better output with a manual one, nearly double, in fact. Mine was a little $10 manual deal that I got as a gift, and I would get 8 oz with that thing when I would only get 4-5 oz with the electric. It's worth trying!!

Good luck!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 9:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2009