IS IT A MUST THAT YOU TAKE YOUR PRENATAL PILLS?

well i haven't been taking my prenatal pills for three weeks now.. is that a bad thing?

Loving_Junior10

Asked by Loving_Junior10 at 3:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No it isn't as long as you get enough folate and iron from your food, some people can't take prenatal vitamins. I can't in the first trimester because they make me sick. Try to when you can but don't get too bent about it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Worse for you than for the baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• your baby is pulling all nutrients from your body which means there is not much left over for you. That is why doctors suggest you take the vitamins. If you are eating a good diet with high in iron you may be okay but i wouldnt suggest skipping hte vitamins. The only time I would think it is okay is when morning sickness interfers with keeping them down and even then its not a great idea to skip if you can find a time of day that your body will keep food down.

The vitamins are to keep you healthy, you really dont want to run your body down during pregnancy. If cost is an issue walmart carries a generic brand that is pretty inexpensive and you can always ask your doctor or clinic if they have freebies or samples.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Your baby is going to be fine, s/he is going to get all the vitamins and minerals needed from your body and bloodstream. YOU may end up with teeth full of cavities, premature osteoporosis and other problems from your body being depleted of some of these supplements during pregnancy. Prenatal vitamins are for YOU, not the baby. Take them if you can stand to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Take your vitamins. Adults work to keep ourselves healthy so we can be there for our children, and other people who need us.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• As long as you're eating healthy I wouldn't worry about it. Now, if you're fast food junkie then I would advise taking vitamins. I never took prenatals when I was pregnant because they made me sick. My Dr. was very surprised when he checked my potassium and iron levels because they were both right on. I explained that I ate healthy and he was content with that.

vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 6:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I had a friend who was able to take children's vitamins since the prenatals made her sick. You might want to check with your doc and see if that's an option. Seemed a bit odd to me, but I have never looked into it myself.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• The prenatal made me sick, I took Children's Vitamins. I can't remember how many though, I'm sure you can talk to your dr about it!

fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Why don't you take them? Do they make you really sick? If not, I would take them....It is a good way to make sure you are getting enough of everything you need. Most people don't eat carefully enough to get all of the vitamins and minerals they need. When I was pregnant years ago, they talked a lot about folate and how it worked against neural tube defects. Has that changed? Honestly, I would try to take the vitamins if you possibly can. If they make you sick, taking them with a meal really helps a lot. Even if the effects are more on the mother than on the baby....you do need to take care of yourself. Do you want to weaken your bones and lose your teeth?
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It is highly recommded and if tolerated OK, yes, take them. The baby is a parasite basically and will take whatever it needs from your body. As previously stated please take them if you can. They will help you support both your baby and your extra nutritional needs especially through the most critical first trimester. The fetus and mom need extra nutritional needs during this time.
    puppieluv

Answer by puppieluv at 8:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2009