monthly groceries budget

how much is your average monthly groceries budget and for how many adults and how many kids per household? My groceries seems so high but I'm not sure what the average should be like.

Lavander

Asked by Lavander at 3:47 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Shopping

• Honestly speaking I don’t know. I don’t even budget my money during grocery. I am much concern of items I ought to buy. And I admit it, I’m not good in budgeting. My tip for you is to list all items, make it appoint that these items were all needed. If not, then leave it then. During this recession we need to manage money properly. Uhuh, what else? Oh you must have extra cash while buying this stuff. Who know you’d just forgotten to list one.
    Trystan

Answer by Trystan at 4:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My budget used to be $400 a month, but currently I am spending $280 or less each month. There are two adults and 4 kids (all young) in our home.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:57 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• We spend $60-80 a week for three of us (two adults, and one always-eating-teen), plus the occasional extra teen. Here are some ways to cut your grocery budget:

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:20 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

cont.

• Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

• rkoloms-those are some really good tips! I love whole grain pasta and i dont htink you can even tell its whole grain once the sauce is on it. My dd didnt complain a bit when I switched.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I spend around $175 to $250 a month for 4 adults and 3 tweens (9, 11 and 12 years old).
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I spend about $70-85 every 2 weeks. It is 2 adults, 4 yr old and a cat. I use lots of coupons though when I shop.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 12:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• $200-400 depending on the month and whether the kids are out of school or not. We have 2 adults 5 kids.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2009