Need advice on how and when to take my baby off of formula

My baby girl is almost 10 months old and she is eating solid foods she never really had baby food she didnt like anything. She has a tooth in. The formula isnt filling her up anymore. How do I start her on regular milk I know slowly but how much and for how long???? Also another weird question, she is tring to walk now and it seems like everytime i turn around she is tring to take off her diaper why is this????

mrswarner08

Asked by mrswarner08 at 4:00 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well with my DD we waited until she was 1 and we just gave her milk no transition, she was fine. Warm the milk that helped with her. Also the diaper thing is a rebellion of sorts mine did it too gotta wear a onsie and pants al the time. Also to fill her up we got pasta pickups they are great they smell yucky but she loved them
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• With all three of my children I did what I called a formula/milk mix. I started when they were about 10 or 11 months. I started with 2 ounces of milk in an 8 ounce bottle, so it was 2 oz milk and 6 oz formula. I did this for about 2 weeks to make sure they didn't have any kind of reaction to the milk. Then I did 4 and 4, for another 2 weeks. After that I started putting it mix in sippy cups so they wouldn't associate the regular milk with a bottle. After those 2 weeks I did 6 oz regular milk and 2 oz formula, in a sippy for 2 more weeks. Then it was just regular milk in a sippy! This helped a lot with breaking them from the bottle. At her age the formula isn't a meal anymore. If you give it to her after a meal she will still get the good nutrients in the formula but she might also take less formula than before since she already has food in her tummy. As for her diaper, that is normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• We mixed the formula with milk in a sippy cup starting at around 11 months. We started with more formula than milk and gradually added more milk and less formula. I would give it to him with his meal, and then one cup right before brushing teeth at bedtime. He drinks a total of 16-20 ounces of milk - I save at least 4 ounces for before bed so after the 16 ounces of milk spread over 3 meals, he gets water for snacks or refills.
    As far as the diaper, it's just a new thing she's learning. After a while she will stop, but it's very easy at this time of year at least to keep them covered up in pants and onesies.

Answer by missanc at 8:50 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• thanks you guys, the whole diaper thing i think is funny except when she takes it off and sits on the floor and pees and loos at me and starts to laugh.
    mrswarner08

Answer by mrswarner08 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• You should wait until she is one to swich to milk. If she isn't taking the formula then try some a little (very little) chocolate syrup or strawberry syrup (sugar free) in her formula. My doctor sugested this and it worked wonders! :-) As far as the diaper, put it on backwards :-) I know it sounds silly but I did it with both of mine and they can't get to the tabs to pull them off anymore! :-)
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 12:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2009