Why do they give you a new glass when you finish your drink?

My husband and I dont drink. In movies, whenever the guy is done with this shot of alcohol, the bartender always takes his glass, gives him a brand new one, and fills that one up.
Why dont they use the old one? Is it for hygenic reasons, or something else?

I am asking because I am curious. Please do not be a bitch and badger me about it.
Thank you.

SpiritedTigress

Asked by SpiritedTigress at 5:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• They always give me a new glass because I'm usually having a different type of mixed drink, but that's just me. I'm not really sure!
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 5:54 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I always wondered that too, esp. in the movies when the guy has like 12 shots of tequilla, and the makes a pyramid or something out of them... Maybe it's easier to keep count? I have no idea. I hope somone who knows answers. I don't drink either.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:20 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• because its a health code violation to refill your glass
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:35 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• they can fill it with a pitcher if they have one but they cant take your glass away and fill it and bring it back
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:36 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i've been a server for 11 years. as far as alcohol, it's a health code/ hygeine thing. as far nonalcoholic, it depends on where you're eating. it's respectful. i guess it adds to the experience or something. it's also true that we can't take a glass that you've used and refill it. only bc you could put something in your cup (ex: a bug, hair, etc.) and blame us to get a free meal. we have to watch out for ourselves as well. i really like getting a new glass when i go out to eat. only bc most of the time when they refill my drink using a pitcher, it's watered down and then i have no ice. if it's a big deal you could always ask your server to not give you new a new glass for each refill. just don't forget to tip them well. servers don't make a lot of money at all. usually they make about $2.13 - $2.15 an hour plus tips. but then you have to tip out the bussers, the bartender, and sometimes the host/hostess.
    stiffytiff

Answer by stiffytiff at 9:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Because the kid in the back who has to wash them all by hand needs to keep his job. Drink more so you can dirty more glasses and keep him employed!!!

:)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2009