Prozac & Breastfeeding?

My doctor prescribed Prozac for my sever PPD. She knows I am breastfeeding because we discussed how that is something my PPD has been getting in the way of so much so that I only BF once a day at night which is the only time I bond with my son, but the label says DO NOT BREASTFEED in red letters. I am conflicted as to what to do, does anyone know if it is safe? I do not want to give up that one session, and lord knows I will never hear the end of it from my husband and family if I were to stop completely anyway, but every day I become more and more depressed to the point where I rarely want to be anywhere near my son and I can hardly function on a daily basis. It took everything I had to talk to my doctor, but now I feel even worse because I don't know what to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Prozac is considered compatible with breastfeeding. You can breastfeed all the time. Breastfeeding has life long health consequences for both you and your baby.

There are only a few drugs that are contraindicated for breastfeeding. The drug companies put labels on drugs saying do not breastfeed to protect themselves. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics it is not contraindicated.

Zoloft is considered the safest SSI for breastfeeding. Prozac is a SSI. You might ask your doctor if you can switch to that.

Breastfeeding once a day isn't going to do much to enhance 'bonding'. The advantage breastfeeding has that helps attachment formation is hormonal - oxytocin, prolactin, endorphins, and other chemicals your body makes. These chemicals flood your body when you breastfeed 8+ times a day and also are in your milk and go to your baby. It may relieve depression. Oxytocin is the love hormone. Endorphins feel good.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:33 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• OP: No, it did not help to BF all day. That's when I was wanting to hurt my baby. That is when I was suicidal. I cried at ever single feeding except for the one right before bed. My husband would have to supervise me because on a couple of occasions I would cry so hard it would soak my son's face while feeding, he also had to help keep him propped to my breast because I would just stop holding him. I hated my son during those times, so it was not releasing any love for me. I kept that one feeding because it was the only one where I felt none of those things, I felt normal and close to my son. Only once a fucking day. I already feel shitty enough, you don't have to go and tell me all the shit that is SUPPOSE to happen while breastfeeding, I'm a Psych major so I'm very familiar with what should be normal. I envy those fucking women. I envy those that get to enjoy their children. But I'm NOT normal, hence the Prozac prescription!
    Anonymous