are there really vampires out there in the world?

please do not think this is silly,but I see people write things all the time about vampires and I think its all part of the craze for vampire stories.But I gotta know,is there really people who act as vampires?please no dumb,rude, or insulting comments.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Entertainment

• Do you mean in the sense of people who have supernatural powers, who are, for all practical purposes, immortal, and have to drink blood to survive? If that's what you mean, then no. They don't exist.

Now, there ARE people who say they are vampires, and who do actually get pleasure out of biting people (just as there are people who are with them that enjoy being bitten, or it's a mutual biting / being bitten thing). Also, there are people who like to cut themselves / be cut and drink the blood (not enough to kill someone though). Some of them do it as erotica. Some just do it because.

Personally, I think it's sick and more than a little creepy to be into this "in real life". That doesn't mean that I don't read books about vampires though. But then again, I also read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and that doesn't mean that I think our planet is going to be destroyed for a galactic off ramp, either...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:50 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Oh, I should add, there is historic evidence that people like Count Dracula existed. He wasn't like what the legends and stories say though. He was a very violent, bloodthirsty tyrant. He would skewer people alive, torture them, etc. I don't know if he drank people's blood or not, but it was his tyranny that earned him the name of being bloodthirsty, which evolved into the legends we have about him today.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I think sailorwifenmom said it pretty well.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• vampires started with Vlad the Impaler back in Romania's area of Transylvania. The man of vampires. He staked and tortured many thousands of people during his reign including family members. He was rumored to have drank their blood but noone can validate that. However people that only come out at night, have fangs and well trueblood, Twilight and Lost Boys is not true.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• what sailorwifenmom said pretty much, but also there was Countess Bathory;
    "Countess of Transylvania, vampire: Born 1560/61; died, August 21, 1614.

In order to improve her complexion and also to maintain her failing grasp on her youth and vitality, she slaughtered six hundred innocent young women from her tiny mountain principality...

Truly, she was evil enough to be recognized as one of the original "vampires" who later inspired Bram Stoker to write the legend of Dracula -- but unlike Stoker's story, she was real."
    (taken from here); http://www.abacom.com/~jkrause/bathory.html
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:47 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• http://www.atlantavampirealliance.com/

Apparently there are people who live an "alternative" lifestyle and call themselves "Vampires" ......see above link
    But the Twilight, Anne Rice Vampires I don't think so.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 8:58 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• No. There were people like Vlad the Impaler years ago who were the inspiration for such legends as Dracula. But that is a fantastical story made up about someone who was nothing more than evil. There are people today who read vampire stories and romanticize it to the point that they actually live that way. They are lost in pretending.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• NikkiMomof2girls, that was very concise and reasonable...good post
    .I don't know why there is such a fascination with Vampires, with the Twilight books. Vampires are fictional but based on stories and legends from the far away past. It is kind of amazing that someone would actually ask if Vampires exist today. WHat the heck. LOL. To me,there is nothing attractive or appealing in the story ...a girl falling for a Vampire? Or a Werewolf? OMG....it sounds perverted and suicidal.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• There is also porphyria.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porphyria
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:27 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• The legend of the 'vampire' didn't start with Vlad there are many mentions of such creatures, although with different names, throughout ancient times in many different cultures:

http://theshadowlands.net/vamp3.htm

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:33 AM on Dec. 29, 2009