When do you start brushing your baby's gums/teeth?

And is it really necessary to brush their gums?

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 9:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As soon as they start solids you can wipe their gums. When they get teeth you can start brushing. You must not use fluoride toothpaste until a child will spit it out. Fluoride is poisionous. There is toddler toothpaste without fluoride. There are special brushes for the different stages of development.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:15 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• As soon as the teeth erupt you can wipe the tooth with a clean cloth and water. Later on there are soft brushes and baby safe toothpaste.

Answer by Bmat at 9:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I gave my dd a baby toothbrush to play w/ (designed way different than a reg toothbrush so no choking) & now she brushes her own bottom 2 teeth. We do it every morning together, she's 8 mo & has been doing her own since 6 mo, its a game & she likes to play.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• We started wiping her gums with a soft cloth at around 2 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:34 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I started brushing with just a toothbrush and water when his first two teeth popped through at 3_1/2 months. I will switch to a training toothpaste(no fluoride) when he is big enough to understand spitting and then to a fluoride toothpaste once I'm confident he has mastered spitting and rinse/spit. It's not necessary to brush their gums but it does sometimes get them used to the feeling of having a toothbrush in their mouth which will prob make it easier to brush when they DO get teeth later.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:34 AM on Dec. 29, 2009