did your dr treat you different?

if you signed an religous exemption for you kids not to get shots? what did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would ask why. Will they being going to school or college, that could be a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I went to a doctor that was ok with delayed and selective immunization.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:11 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Switch dr's. You have a right to raise your kid the way you want with the support of your dr. No one has the right to make you feel bad bc you are making decisions for your kid. Call around, ask other moms, took me a while to find a Dr who was okay w/ selective & delayed vaccinations. If you have a green living group in your area they should have some info for you.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• As for the if ypou are uncomfortab;e then fina another one!! Sorry but I say your are wrong for not protecting your children reguearless of the whole religion!! The shots are to protect then and the others they come in contact with at schools such. Imagine what our world would be like if everyone thought as you did all the illnesse and things that could be avoided?? Think about that for a minute!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I do agree with Anon 49!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Sigh. If she's bothered to go to the trouble of signing a religious exemption from shots she has thought it thru & has heard enough comments along the way. the op didn't ask what you think is best for your kids.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• thank you Nyx7... i have put ALOT of prayer, though, stress and reserch into this.. it wasnt an easy decision or one i took lightly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I have had to change Drs 3 times because of this. 2 of them refused to see my children for routine checkups after we declined immunization, and one of them attempted to stab my child after i had said NO... yes, they do treat us differently (in general). it takes time to find a physician who is comfortable with, or even advocates delayed/selective/zero vax.

take your time, interview, and find a new physician.

as for the anons- there are many, many reasons not to vaccinate. not all of them are religious. i am an Atheist who's children have had adverse reactions to the few vaccinations they have received (we had German measles and chicken pox FROM THE VACCINES), however- claiming religious exemption is the easiest way to prevent the hassle when they enter school. vaccines do not come without risk, and what risk you are willing to take with your children is your prerogative, so kindly keep it to your self.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My children are not vaccinated at all. I haven't signed the exempt forms yet because they aren't even close to school age. But we did go through 3 peds before finding one that would even accept us as a client without vaccines. The others just refused to treat us or lied to my face (apparently they thought I was uneducated and easy to scare). However, the doctor I have now, has never treated us differently. She understands that I am educated on the subject and have made a choice that is best for us. It may take some changes in doctors, so be ready... But non-vaccinated children are much healthier than those who receive vaccines... Don't let your doctor treat you different... You'll be fine!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:16 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• What are the religious reasons that you mention OP? I'm just curious...is it only for vacs, or are there other medicines your religion does not allow as well? I only ask because I always hear about religious reasons but nothing more than that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2009