What can cause infiltrates in my 13 month old sons lungs?

So my son got really sick back in March, barely being 4 months old. They did a chest xray and the DR said he has developing pneumonia. We treated him for it, we got a nebulizer did breathing treatments ect, but his wheezing never went away EVER. You could always hear him wheezing. I took him to a asthma/allergy specialist, he wasnt allergic to anything they tested him for. The dr there added pulmicort to his nebulizer. Didnt work. I took him to the ENT, he put tubes in his ears, which has done nothing but cause troubles. Then we did cystic fibrosis tests and got a pulmonary specialist. He diagnosed him with asthma and GERD. we did several xrays to see if the infiltrates are still in his right lung (The lung thats always wheezing) We scheduled a lung scope but he has been to sick to get put under. His oxygen level is at 91%. I know the scope will tell us the answer but I am feeling alone and wondering if anyone has been here.

Mommyof2n0308

Asked by Mommyof2n0308 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Health

• I don't know the answer, but I wanted you to know that your baby and you are in my prayers. My son had medical problems that just wouldn't go away (he is fine now) but I remember the distress, the anxiety, and I feel badly for you. I hope that your baby is well soon.

Answer by Bmat at 9:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I found this online:

"Possible causes of infiltrates or opacifications include cells such as cancerous cells, infection such as pneumonia, fluid such as congestive heart failure, blood such as pulmonary hemorrhage, inflammation such as cryptogenic organizing pneumonia.

If the infiltrates persist and a diagnosis can not be determined by imaging techniques or sputum studies, a lung biopsy may be required. A biopsy can be performed by bronchoscopy although these biopsies are smaller and subject to sampling errors. Surgical biopsies are usually definitive."

Sometimes you can have damage to your lungs that persist as infiltrates. I have immune deficiencies and have had pneumonia many times. Several years ago I had pulmonary emboli in both lungs. I have infiltrates in both lungs that aren't going away. It's possible the infiltrates could be from the pneumonia.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:03 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Genetic immune deficiencies are so rare doctors may not think to test for them. Since your baby is so young and already has had pneumonia, ear tubes, and asthma you may want to ask the doctors to test for immune deficiencies. Ask to test for at least IgA, IgG, IgM, & IgG subclasses.

The 10 Warning Signs of Primary Immune Deficiency
    Test if you have 2 of the signs

Eight or more new ear infections within one year.
    Two or more serious sinus infections within 1 year.
    Two or more months on antibiotics with little effect.
    Two or more pneumonias within 1 year.
    Failure of an infant to gain weight or grow normally.
    Recurrent, deep skin or organ abscesses.
    Persistent thrush in mouth or elsewhere on skin, after age 1.
    Need for intravenous antibiotics to clear infections.
    Two or more deep-seated infections such as sepsis, meningitis or cellulitis.
    A family history of primary immune deficiency.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• All three of my children also have the primary immune deficiency disease CVID, asthma, allergies, and other health issues. Breastfeeding protected them until they were around 12 months and then they each started becoming very ill. They had to be treated as inpatients and outpatients at a major children's hospital.

We didn't know what was wrong until I got sick when I was pregnant with the youngest. They finally did the right tests and found we all had this rare disease. For me it was adult onset. The 20 year survival rate is 64%. My sons are now 30, 26, and 21. My 15 mo grandson was diagnosed with it at around 12 months and is having problems with weight gain. He is still breastfeeding so all the problems with infections and asthma haven't started. Breastmilk has IgA that he lacks that helps prevent infections and asthma.

I have IVs every 3 weeks, I get one today, to help prevent infections. They cost $20,000+.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:21 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Wow that is crazy. its so hard for drs to see him like this though. He has great weight gain.He is developing fine. Just has a HARD time breathing, persistant cough. When I took him to the ENT they detected fluid in his ears. He had ne ver had an ear infection, so thats why they put tubes in. I want to take him to more doctors but he has seen them in 3 major surrounding cities. i know that once we get the bronchial scope done itll tell us alot. Im just so scared they will give me the go around again. I just feel so alone, and my family says do this do that demand this demand that. Im not sure what to demand, they have done a CF test, which was horrible for him, they do xrays, they are going to put him down to do the scope on his lungs. the next resort is a lung biopsy which doesnt sound like an easy task either. I just want answer for my poor guy. I feel like im crazy taking him to the drs so much, just to get the same thing!
    Mommyof2n0308

Answer by Mommyof2n0308 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Was your doctor not worried about his O2 being low? Pulseox should not be below 92.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Well I was never aware of it being low, no one ever told me his oxygen was that low. Then our last pulmonary appt, it was at 96%. And i remember thinking WOAH, I remember my sister in law in full labor at 100% so why is my BABY who doesnt walk, have such low oxygen, but she told me it would infact go back up. So yesterday when they took it and it swas 91% I asked and the PA that usually sees him through all this informed me that everytime she has seen them its been 93-90% and that it is not normal, but it is normal for him. Im just at my wits end and i have no idea what to do. Im clueless, exhausted emotionally and physically. Like I said previously though he is bigger than my two year old nephew, he is developing fine, he is 13 months and isnt walking but he is a pretty big child. His weight length and head circ is all above 95%.
    Mommyof2n0308

Answer by Mommyof2n0308 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• leave it to Gailll to make this about her.lol

I hope the doctors can figure out what is going on and your child will be in my prayers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2010