How can I achieve structure in my family life?

We have 4 children (ages 14, 12, 9 and 4) and we have never had a very "structured" family life. It is something that I have never mastered. We do not have a schedule for anything it seems. Baths, studying hours, chores, sleep time (when not a school night), allowances, etc. My 4 year old goes to sleep when my husband and I do. One thing I can say is that we do eat together as a family most of the time when my husband comes home from work and I know that this is a good thing. All the other stuff I've never incorporated and I think it's not a good thing. Any advice? Any would be appreciated. Thanks.

Frankie64

Asked by Frankie64 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• So you want to set a schedule, right? I have always had one, so to me, it's really not that hard. Just decide what times you want to do these various things, and inform the family. Well, ok, with the hubby and the two older kids, have them help you set the times, but basically it boils down to deciding what needs to be done when and getting everyone busy doing it. If you decide bedtime for the 14 yr old is 10pm, then the 14 yr old should know this and therefore plan accordingly to have homework, chores, shower, etc. done so they are in bed with lights out at 10pm. The younger 2 you will still have to help, but once you decide on the times, it's just a matter of looking at the clock and then telling them, "Ok, it's ____ o'clock, time to XXXXX". Yes, it will be hard since there's been no real schedule before, but if you stick to it, it'll get easier. Good luck! And good for you for deciding you need to change.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• With the new year coming it's a good time to start. Make a list bedtime,bathtime,studytime etc. I have homework right after school until 4:30,6:00 dinner, showers at 8;30, bed before 10.(on school night) I pack lunches the night before & book bags on the dining room table right by the door. It makes life so much easier.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 10:27 AM on Dec. 29, 2009