Does anyone use over the counter meds for colds?

The know it alls have said not to but my daughter has a stuffed up nose and is coughing. I was wondering if 1/2 teaspoon of children's tylenol for colds would hurt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The know it alls know it all. Her body is doing exactly what its designed to do, fight off an infection. The medicine does nothing more than mask & delay the symptoms. If she coughing its cuz her body's trying to expel the infection, delaying this couging instinct allows the germs to sit in her body & multiply. No the tylenol isn't gonna kill her or make things worse but she doesn't need it. The more her body figures out now how to deal w/ germs the less sick she'll get in the future. Give her a nice steamy bath, beat on her back to loosen her congestion, nose drops, bulb suction, massage along her sinus passages. Grapfruit seed extract is a wonderful way to shorten colds & keep em from happening if you catch it at the beginning (available where they sell vitamins). Let her body work, I know its not easy to watch but she's better off!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• They took all that stuff off the shelves for a reason. From what I read, it was mostly because of the idiots that overdosed their kids on particular active ingredients. As a result they took away everything that used to be ok to give kids under the age of 4...or is it six? Either way, there isn't much you can do except what the pp already said. I can tell you that my sons pedi told me that a spoon of honey would help a cough. Not sure why, just know that's what he told me. If I remember right, my son was 4 at the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• We don't. Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Miso soup is very healing.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms
    Most important, keep your child well hydrated

Answer by rkoloms at 10:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It depends on how old your child is. Before my children were on the dosing chart, I gave them 1/2 of the lowest dose. This is what my dr told me to do. I would use Robitussin DM not Tylenol which can have many other ingredients that your child doesn't need.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• my son is 3 and I give him half of whay the does is for children that are 6 I've been doing it for a while and he is fine his doctor told me it was ok to do this he is the type of child that won't get better without medicine and we can't go running to the doctor evey time he gets sick
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 11:51 AM on Dec. 29, 2009