Temper Tantrums: Going crazy, don't know what to do!!!

So for the past week now my almost 3 year old has been throwing gigantic fits right before bedtime. He'll be a sweet little fun playful angel up until I say "okay, let's go brush our teeth and go potty" then it's like the devil horns appear and he'll kick and scream for 45 minutes. He used to be so easy to put down and loved to get ready, get tucked in and let me tell him stories. Now he just fights it. It started a few days before Christmas. I thought maybe just because he was so excited for Santa and such but it has continued for an entire week now and my husband and I haven't a clue what to do. He'll throw fits w/ my husband during the morning and day here and there, not with me...just before bedtime w/ me. Anyone out there having his problem or had this? Time outs don't work, he doens't understand so we have to put him up in his room and let him scream and kick it out until he calms down which takes 10 to 15 minute

Christi12

Asked by Christi12 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would keep doing what you're doing. Let him scream and kick it out until he calms down. He has to learn that the tantrum doesn't get him anything. Just completely ignore it. I think you're already handling it correctly. If it has just started, then it should be easier to end just by ignoring. Good luck! I know it's hard, but just tune him out.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2009