cord blood

Has anyone done the cord blood thing, just wondering what the cost for it is.

junebutterfly

Asked by junebutterfly at 10:06 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I looked into it, didn't do it. It was like 1500 for the initial which included the kit to collect & send it in. There was also a monthly storage fee of 250, other fees if you wanted to use it. Look into the programs carefully, each is a little different. Kinda wished we'd saved it just in case but couldn't justify the cost. Look at the disorders cord blood's currently being used to treat & see if you have a family history of them.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Google cord banking pro and cons. Basically your paying for a very expensive insurance plan that the chances of you needing are nil....unless of course you have a sibling who is sick or a predetermined genetic problem.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• ....also beware of advertisements that are meant to look like articles from physicians.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• We looked into it. We couldn't see how the cost would be a benefit. It is something we just can't afford. Also, I didn't like that they could use the cord blood for research purposes (that was in some smaller print). I would definitely do your research, but be careful what you read.
    puppyraiser8

Answer by puppyraiser8 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Consider donation, too, if possible, if costs of storing for yourself is too much. Might as well help someone, right? I'm not sure if the rules have changed, but I couldn't donate becuase I didn't deliever at the hospital that would store it. Seems silly that there wouldn't be a way to get it there. Maybe the rules have changed in the last 2 1/2 years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If everybody donated cord blood, there would be no need for banking. When I asked my doctor about it, he said that first, most of the time cord blood is used is when there is a genetic illness. Well, they can't use the cord blood that is already infected with the genetic issue to treat the genetic issue. They need blood that isn't too closely related. However, if there are siblings, it can help the siblings, but it is very rare. Most of the time, cancer doctors prefer to use blood that isn't really closely related to ensure it's different enough. It's not like organs where an exact match is needed.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Thank you all very much you were all helpful. I figured it would be high I am single theres no way i could afford it.
    junebutterfly

Answer by junebutterfly at 12:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2009