How do you know.....

when you are about to go into labor? This is my first baby and I'm not sure if labor is just around the corner or a few weeks away. I am due Jan 24th, 2010.

MaKennaMama

Asked by MaKennaMama at 10:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sadly the comment "you'll KNOW when..." - one of the most ANNOYING comments to a pregnant woman - is true.

with all three of mine I knew it was going to be soon, but had no idea. and many false starts - then when it was real labour. I knew it without a doubt.

good luck!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:51 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I would say January 17, everyone I have spoke too has been 7 days early, including me with my first 2.

You start nesting, wanting to clean and get everything ready for your baby..

Congratulations!!!!

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:52 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• The majority of first time moms will go around 41w1d. I wouldn't worry about anything until you hit 42 weeks, in fact, that's what I would plan for.

Nobody can tell you when, just that a normal labor pattern is really easy to determine. You'll know. Just spend these next few weeks enjoying that belly, resting, and getting as comfortable as possible.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:05 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Thank you. I was in labor on Christmas Day but they stopped it. So I'm not really sure. I don't think I will really nest cause I am always making sure everything is clean and put away.
    MaKennaMama

Answer by MaKennaMama at 11:07 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• You know how i knew? I was just barely 38 weeks when I delivered. The day before we had new windows installed in the bedrooms and I spent the day sewing and hanging curtains. I felt GREAT! I had been having a few tense Braxton-Hicks contractions. Then I went the next day for my 38 week appointment and was immediately put in surgery. DS was breach and had feet starting to poke out!
    puppyraiser8

Answer by puppyraiser8 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I agree with asaffell. Most first babies are late (if you let them come on their own time, that is). My DD came at 42 weeks 2 days. I had NO signs at all. I thought I was going to be pregnant forever! Then one night I woke up at like 2am with period like cramps and had my DD 8 hours later.
    I wouldnt get too anxious though...You probably have more than a month left.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i had my first baby 9 days early really i had no signs i went to a friends fathers funeral the day before felt fine figured i would go late but the next morning at 7 my water broke and was in labor for 14hrs everyone is different you could go late early or right on time but when it starts you will know and if your not 100% go to the hospital anyways and they will tell you
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 1:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• most likely you have several more weeks. :) you might have signs beforehand like more and more "false" labor, losing mucus, or bloody show. or you might not have any signs! i didn't have any signs. i didn't have any contrax until i was 40w6d and then i was just crampy all night. i had my son the next day. i knew i was in labor because my water broke, then within a couple hours my contractions were really intense and i couldn't think about anything else. i really had no signs so from 37 weeks on i was just always wondering if it would be tomorrow or 5 weeks. :) i think it's good to just count on it being february so you don't get too impatient and frustrated, and if baby comes sooner, it will be a happy surprise!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i just read your comment that you were in the hospital Christmas. that makes me think that you probably won't have as long left but i know some moms have had their labor stopped, then go to 41 weeks.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Yes ma'am I was. They gave me the shot in the back of my arm and stopped it, since then I still have contractions daily but they aren't at a regular time. When I was in there I was told I was a -2...what does that mean??
    MaKennaMama

Answer by MaKennaMama at 3:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2009