Did the new kitten make us sick?

I got my SD a kitten for Christmas. Got him from a lady who is well known in our community for having sweet, healthy (LITTER TRAINED!!!) kittens each Christmas. He is fun, playful, and adorable, very friendly and soooo cuddly.
Here's my question- he seems to have some diarrhea. My husband thinks his belly is distended, but to me, he just looks like a slightly plump kitten. I wouldn't have worried at all, except, yesterday, we all ended up with a stomach bug. I know this could all be coincidence. It was just a thought I had.
He's too small to get his shots, but I'll be taking him to the vet for a check up next week (after paycheck, lol).
Any thoughts?

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 10:53 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pets

• no, I doubt that the cat made you sick. It is MORE likely that you all ate some leftovers that sat out a little too long. the highest occurrence of food poisoning occurs during the holiday season.

like all animals, if their diet changes, they will have some sort of reaction. usually diarrhea or constipation. even if you have been feeding him the same food that he was eating when you got him, it is HIGHLY likely that one of the children fed him something, or he ate a random scrap off of the floor and it has made his stomach upset. remember that he is just a baby, and like a human baby they are prone to stomach upsets when new foods are introduced.

in all honestly, I believe it unlikely that the cat made you sick- I have spent years working with animal rescues, and fostering bottle babies- never have any of them (even the ones that were ill) made myself or my family sick.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• sounds like he has worms, you probably just have a bug
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I doubt it but anything is possible. How old exactly is this kitten? They can get their first "Temporary" shot at about 6 weeks. He probably does has worms it is pretty common in kitten and puppies to have them so he should get dewormed. I would just make sure that you all are washing your hands after you handle him.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2009