what can i do for ds?

He's 3.5 years old. I just stuck a baby monitor in his room because I've started putting his baby sister in his room. Well I've noticed that he just tosses and turns all night long. He usually goes to bed around 7 but doesn't fall asleep until 8-9 then is up between 7:30-8. He still takes a nap most days so you'd think he gets enough sleep but I can tell its not of high quality because he still has deep circles under his eyes. What can I do for him? I've consiered a sleep study but at the moment the kids are on state medical insurance and I don't think that will cover a sleep study. We are just scraping by financially so we can't afford to pay for one out of pocket either.

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is his mattress uncomfortable? Do they takes baths before bed? If not, maybe give him a nice warm bath with lavender or chamomile in it to help relax him before he goes to bed. You could also try a sound machine. Maybe the sounds of nature and/or water will help him relax more.

vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• He does take a bath but maybe I could put some lavender or chamomile in it. I've thought about a sound machine for baby but not ds. Hmm I will have to talk to dh. Thanks!
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Does he need the nap? Have you tried weaning him off of day-time sleep? It could be that he's getting too much sleep during the day and it's making it hard for him to get to sleep at night. Have you tried nudging his bedtime back a little? Personally if I go to bed before I'm really 'ready' to get to sleep, I toss and turn for ages even after I'm truly tired.

Every child is different and every families bedtime routines are different. Take that grain of salt with what I'm about to say next. At 3.5 years old, both my kids (now 5 and 7) no longer napped. Both of them were beginning bedtime routines at 7 with a bath followed by stories at 7:30. Their actual bedtime was 8pm. Both slept well at night. If they did fall asleep for a nap during the day, bed time was a nightmare. They'd be up WAY too late or not sleep well during the night. IF I tried to get them down too early, same thing. It's what worked for us.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• We actually just bupmed bedtime back from 8PM because he'd stay up until 10. I've tried dropping nap time too but then he falls asleep in the car on the way to the grocery store at 5. So to me that says he still needs a nap. Thanks for the idea but I just don't think that's our solution.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It will cover a sleep study if your doctor refers him.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My son is 3 and he always gets up and plays after we put him to bed. One thing that we used to do when he was a baby(then he decided he didn't want it anymore) and have since reinstated into the bedtime routine is a massage with lotion before his jammies go on. It helps sometimes, to relax him. Not all the time though.

Hope you find something that works!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I would try placing him in bed at maybe 8pm. He maybe tossing and turning because he is not ready for sleep. I am not sure what hours he is napping, so this maybe the difference. If my son naps during the day he is not ready for bed until almost 9pm. If he does not nap during the day then he is ready for bed at 8pm. We have a rountine of getting his bath, a snack, and then I read to him before bedtime. I think reading helps him to relax. Hopefully some of these responses may help.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• Try playing music softly in their room,, may soothe him enough to get some quality sleep.

If the drs think his truly needs a sleep study, they should be able to order one even with your insurance. But chances are, they do not see his sleeping habits as detrimental to his health.

Bren
    BrenMOM

Answer by BrenMOM at 11:12 AM on Jan. 1, 2010