When do I need to pump?

My baby is 8 days old & I started trying to pump 2 days ago & am not getting much out. When is the best time to pump?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped in the beginning when I was extremely engorged and in a lot of pain. I pumped before I nursed because it was too painful for me for the baby to latch on. Otherwise I didn't really pump in the beginning. Why do you need to?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:19 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• You can pump while nursing, alternating sides. Or you can pump an hour after nursing.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• You need to pump EVERY time your baby eats, which at this stage should be about every 2 hours. Some women can't get much milk out when they pump, but just because you can't pump the milk doesn't mean you're not producing the milk. Babies are way more efficient at extracting milk than a pump. You may want to try nursing your baby at one breast while pumping on the other. That way you're more likely to let down.  Really the best way is to nurse your baby and establish breastfeeding and milk supply and then pump when the baby is older, but I don't know your circumstances so perhaps that's not possible.

Check out this link 19 Tips For Better Pumping.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If you dont NEED to pump OP, its MUCH easier to just put your baby to the breast and let her nurse that way, your baby will always be better at draining the breast than an artificial pump will be, the amount of milk you pump is not a true indication of how much your actually making, when baby nurses they draw out more milk than a pump so that get plenty.
    My advice for what its worth is to just stop fooling with the pump, its much more work for you and a pain in the ass personally, I always HATED pumping and I was fortunate enough to be a SAHM so I never needed to pump...I also nurse in public, its just not something that ever bothered me, I know some dont like to but again, I HATED pumping SO much that I just decided to not fool with it.

www.kellymom.com is a good website to answer just about all of your breastfeeding questions.

Good luck!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 1:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Pump for what? Are you exclusively pumping? If so, whenever baby eats. I'd say in the beginning, at least every 2 hrs around the clock. If you're nursing and just pumping for the occasional bottle, just pump when you need to. Often, it's easier to pump while baby is nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2009