What do you do with your child during the day?

I have a one year old and I was wondering what you all do with your children during the day. He plays and we read but other than that, that's about it. I don't want him to be bored or not stimulated.

Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's pretty much what we do too. I do let her watch a little too much TV though, but I only really let her watch it while I'm cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking just to get her out of my way. To get her out of the house every day, we walk and get the mail together or walk the trash together.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:29 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• day care. It's such a godsend. :) Seriously, though if you are interested in keeping him entertained and educated, google toddler lesson plans. There are all sorts of great ideas out there! From coloring and edible playdough to puzzles and making books and unique craft ideas. At day care, around Christmas the kids colored with candy canes and used different pine branches (small ones of course) to paint pictures. Good chance to teach about nature and colors and hand eye cordination. Throwing balls, ride on toys, chalk for ourside. Draw a big circle then have him jump in and out of it. Or set up chairs or cones or whatever you might have and have him walk around or between them. Follow the leader. Kitchens are great for this age. You can have a tea party. Dress up too, but that might be a bit much at this age. Get a bucket of water and put in ping pong balls. Have him use a cup or spoon to try to catch them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• continued. There are so many things you can do. Just be creative. a tuperware bowl with something inside to make a rattle. Or different items for different sounds. Just have him run. Put a toy down and have him run pick it up then put it in a basket (great for teaching to clean up as he gets more of an attention span). Build a fort. Just a blanket over the chair can bring so much fun to a toddler.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• At 1, both my kids LOVED craft time. Get some toddler friendly crayons, finger paints, water colors, etc

Bake - start now and it'll pay off in the coming years with a competent little kitchen helper. At a year old my kids would sit in a high chair with an empty bowl, measuring cups and a wooden spoon to "help" me cool. I'd give them bits of the dry ingredients to play with while I worked. They'd try to measure out their own flour, stir it, and so on. This year my 5 yr old helped Grandma make Thanksgiving dinner - and by helped I mean, she chopped veggies, hand mixed stuffing and got it all in the bird, made the mashed potatoes, and so on. My 7 yr old can make dinner mostly on his own if he wanted to and helps most nights. They love it!

Put music on and dance like crazy! It's great exercise and it's a great opportunity to teach new concepts!

Play hide and seek - teach counting skills!

Take a walk. Bundle up and get out.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:44 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• (cont) Let him help you with house work! At 1, my kids were in LOVE with the broom and the feather duster. LOL! I'd let them have at it while I did the 'real' cleaning. Give them a basket full of wash cloths or socks and let him try to help "fold." Yes, you'll need to redo it but it'll amuse him AND it'll set in motion a habit of helping with housework.

There are some toddler friendly games online. Try the PBS kids web site for Sesame Street games and the FisherPrice web site for Little People games. Both of them games that trigger a response when a toddler strikes a key - any key will do. These helped reinforce concepts of letters and numbers for my 2 who learned both very young. It's not all we did, but it was something fun added to the other stuff.

As he gets a bigger introduce science experiments. We've raised caterpillars in a bug cage and watched butterflies emerge. At 2 yrs old my son and I made a volcano!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:49 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My son is 18 months old. I usually get down on the floor and play cars, help him "fix" his cars and toys with his plastic hammer and screwdriver. I brought magnetic animals and puzzles for the fridge and help him put it together. We build forts and sit in it with flashlights. When it is dark out, I'll take him into a room with flashlights and make shadows with it. We'll play hide and go seek (usually I'm hiding around the corner and pop out on him. He loves it.) Put together chunky puzzles, "read" books, watch his favorite shows such as Blues Clues... Throw balls, help them learn how to kick/throw it. He isn't allowed in my room often, but he loves to go in my room and hold my hand while he jumps on the bed (bad idea in the long run, probably!) ... just use your imagination and follow your child's lead. He will help me with laundry, putting dishes away (plastic tupperwares), sweep, vacuum. I include him as much as I can.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2009