When is Christmas over?

I was reading some posts under the question "When do you take down your Christmas decorations?" Some of the posts refered to Jan 6th as Little christmas or when Christmas was over. I've never heard this before. Can someone explain why Jan 6th is Little Christmas or when Christmas is over? I was just wondering. Thanks.

TheresaGeorge

Asked by TheresaGeorge at 11:24 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Holidays

• I believe it is just a bit of laziness LOL. You spent all that time putting it up now you have to take it down. UGH LOL I am waiting just another day or two LOL. I just dont want to do it LOL Its more fun putting up than taking down LOL
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Our family tradition is to wait til after the 1st. My grandma always said it is bad luck to take it down before then and after the 1st bring you luck for the new year LOL... Most of the time I take mine down Christmas night if not within a few days after.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:32 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I've never heard of that either. Most of the people I know who wait do it because they don't want to spend the time taking everything down. The rest do it after the 1st of the year. I like to take it down at the end of Christmas Day. This year we traveled and were tired so we did it Sunday afternoon.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It has something to do with Epihnay and the 12 days of Christmas whish is actually after the Christmas Season you can read about it here
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/epiphany
    Anonymous

• If I remember right it has to do with the 3 wise men bringing the gifts. Christmas is suppose to be the celebration of the birth of Jesus but it took a few days for the wise men to get there so that would be the 6th (I think)
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Jan. 6 is suppouse to be the day when the 3 wise men made it to see Jesus.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I celebrate Yule... and I take my decorations/trees down on the 12th day of Yule... which this yr was the 21st... "The Twelve Days of Christmas"...
    This would put me taking my stuff down on the 2/3...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Everything comes down in my home on January 1.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I live in the country with the longest Christmas in the world and here they end the last week of January.
    nily

Answer by nily at 5:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• I agree with Juggalette0327. thats what it is.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 12:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2010