HELP! Diarrhea/vomitting won't stop!

I'm posting this anon for obvious reasons. lol

Since Christmas after dinner, I have had diarrhea. The next day I was sick to my stomach and was vomiting for a little over a day. Now, as long as I eat a couple of crackers every 30 minutes or so, I can keep from vomiting, but my diarrhea has not stopped. What do I do? I've tried pro-biotics, and they're not working. I feel like I need to vomit, but I don't HAVE to. Whether I eat or drink, I have diarrhea every hour or so.

I was thinking I got food poisoning because the meat I ate at Christmas dinner was cold. I ended up microwaving it, but apparently that didn't help. If that was the case, wouldn't I be over it by now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Health

• First of all, you have to take probiotics for a few days before they start working. BUT, you obviously have a virus & the probiotics will help, but will not cure you. Make sure to drink LOTS of water, all that pooing can really make you dehydraded. The best thing you can do is ride it out & take good care of yourself. If you want to try to harden your stool a bit, you can try eating things with high gluten in them, like bagels. Instead of eating crackers, try eating a few bites of a bagel. It might help you not go to the bathroom so often. Keep up with the probiotics though! Your stomach is really going to need them after this, & they also help fight infection & disease so it won't hurt to keep taking them.

Protien shakes are good too, they will keep you hydrated & will also harden your stool a bit. (might give you some energy too)
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Thanks for the reply! I've been taking pro-biotics since Christmas night. For that one day I was throwing up I couldn't keep them down though.

I was thinking I had a virus, but last time I had a gastro virus I ended up in the hospital because it was so bad. Puking so hard I had diarrhea at the same time, couldn't sit up w/o vomiting, dizziness, passed out from dehydration, etc. That's the only stomach virus I ever remember having since I was a kid, so I just assumed it would be worse if it were a virus..
    Anonymous

• Often times food poisoning is a lot worst than what you are feeling. Also, if no one else is sick from Christmas then it's probably not food poisoning.

Diarrhea sucks. I usually end up taking pepto or an anti diarrhea med when it gets really bad.

Keep drinking liquids, don't let yourself get dehydrated. If it's still happening by Thursday and isn't getting better, then I'd call your doctor.

Feel better soon.

Cafe Jenn
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 2:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Cefe Jenn:

The only reason I was thinking it was food poisoning is that I had that meat that had been left out, no one else did. And like I said before, last time I had a virus, it was WAY worse than this. But I get your point. :) Thanks for the info!
    Anonymous