Do you have any tricks for potty training a 16mnth old girl?

I am just looking for some tips or advice?

hollinshead

Asked by hollinshead at 11:55 AM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well i dont have any kids of my own yet!, im expecting. however, i do work with toddlers on a daily basis at work. the best trick ive seen parents use is letting the little girl pick out her own panties. normally they will pick out some with their favorite characters on them. explain to them that if they pee pee in their panties, that the character will get wet, and will be very sad. the fact that they even get to wear panties is normally a thrill for them! also, rewards and demonstrations are always a good thing :] hope this helps!
    ucancallmemommy

Answer by ucancallmemommy at 11:59 AM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Advice... 16 months is a little early to potty train. Most children are not trained until 2.5 or 3. It's not because parents are lazy, it is just easier for the kids to understand and feel when they need to go and to undress and redress themselves after a bathroom visit. You can buy her a potty and let her sit on it when you go so she starts getting the idea.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• The best advice I can give is stop. For the average girl 16 months is way too early. Occ. a girl will 'be ready' at 18 months. On average though 2 is the magic number.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I don't think 16 mnths is early at all. My daughter has shown signs that she is ready to be potty trained. She has used the adult potty several times. Our pediatrician says it is time for her because she is so independent. I will not force this on her but if she is ready why not. Thanks for the advice.
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 12:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I honestly don't think 16 months is to early I started potty training both my girls at 12 months old. My first was fully trained to where she could tell you she had to go was 19 months. My second was nearly fully trained at 15 months she couldn't tell you though you just had to take her, but then she not rotavirus and it stopped everything for a while she is almost 2 in another week and a half and she has been going on the potty since she was about 20 months old now she goes by herself to the potty and yells for you when she is done lol. So I don't think that is to young to start
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Ok, seriously every child is different! My dd is 18 months and totally day time trained! We started her at 14 months, so you're fine to start now, trust me! I agree, let her pick out her toilet -either one for the seat or one for the ground-and her undies, and always reward her when she does well. Don't dicipline her when she doesn't, she will have accidents for a while. Oh, also, I don't suggest pull ups unless it is bed or nap time, because she will just wet them like a diaper!!
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Oh I also forgot to add a few things. First, you have got to be consistent, when you start out, take her to the potty every 30 minutes or so, and get her used to it. Let her get her own toilet paper, and flush the toilet. Have her wave "bye-bye" to the pee/poop and wash her hands with her when she is done, and do it all the same way every time. If you're away from home, make sure you're consistent there as well.

Good luck!
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Thanks sounds great!
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 12:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My son is 17 months and "house broken" he can not really talk yet but we use sign language so what I did was taught him the sign for potty a week or two before traiining him then bought him a cool frog potty chair that he loves about a week before as well and let him get used to it. Then when it was time to train I let him run around naked, the first time I caught him pooping on the floor I very very calmly said "o no we don't poop on the floor we poop on the potty" and I put him on it. After that for every single poopy since then (except nap, bed and when we are out) he has told me (with the sign) as far as peeing I did the same thing but we still have accidemts, O and I go crazy when he poops or pees on it which he loves then he gets an M&M which he loves as well (I am totally against all sweets for kids but it worked! and really a few M&Ms a day for a few months won't kill him) .
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 12:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• also 16 months is not too early, my sister trained both her kids by 16, my mom all 5 of hers by 18 and most of my cousins kids were trained around the same time. As my grandmother pointed out its only been since the invention of disposable diapers that people wait till the kids are 3 to train (which by the way if you do wait till they are 3 it doesn't bother me so don't get all devensive if you are one of those parents, its not a big deal when you train! I just HATE diaper changing lol)
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 12:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2009