How do I get my 13-month-old to eat veggies again?

My son used to eat every vegitable you could think of and he LOVED them. Now that he's starting to get more independant, he refuses to be spoon fed. However, he also now is refusing to eat any vegitable that's whole and not pureed. He'll pick around them any eat everything else on this plate and leave the veggies. I've tried all different veggies and tried cooking them in different ways etc. but he absolutely will not eat them. When I try to spoon-feed him veggies, he gets pissed off and screams at the spoon. He also is not good enough with the spoon yet to spoon feed mushed veggies to himself.

I don't give in and feed him crap either just so he can eat for the sake of eating. I don't want his eating habits to get worse. But the strange thing is, he is content to refuse vegitables, even if it means he's still hungry.

How do I get veggies into him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try some frozen peas, frozen corn and frozen blueberries. Also, baked sweet potato and avocado (fun to squish between little fingers, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• He can't feed himself with a spoon at 13 months? Give him veggies FIRST and don't give him anything else until he eats them. Yes he will make a mess, but give him the spoon and thick mushed veggies and let him go at it. He'll eat them if he is hungry.
    Anonymous

• Has he been introduced to sugar? Usually once that happens, it is difficult to get veggies back into their diet. They just don't taste as yummy. But I agree with other responder - start meal with them and don't add anything else until veggies are eaten.
    Peodigy

Answer by Peodigy at 12:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• No, he cannot effectively feed himself with a spoon at 13 months. The topic was actually just featured in a parenting journal I receive and apparently it's not uncommon across the board. His strengths are intellectual--he says over 20 words, follows multiple commands, can repeat words and phrases back at you, can identify various objects and body parts and can hand-sign also for communication....but he has very little interest in improving physical coordination. He also absolutely refuses to walk; he crawls absolutely everywhere he goes. He's just like his dad was when he was little and the complete opposite of how I was when I was little.

Peodigy--yes, I just found out that when I've been attending school and my MIL has been watching him, she gives him yogurt and cookies. Ahh!! I've promptly put an end to that. I never would have let him have any of that crap had I known.

rkoloms, good ideas :-)
    Anonymous

• I agree with frozen peas and corn, my son loves those! I find that becomes a battle of control, especially as the toddler matures. I offer my son fruits and vegetables with every meal, and usually hide some in the food that I know he -will- eat. Sometimes I grate zucchini into pancakes. My son loves scrambled eggs with broccoli and cheese. While I may hide some in his food, I also offer him some plain and simple.. he has the choice to eat it or not. If he doesn't touch it, he will get offered that particular vegetable throughout the day as a snack. I don't make a big deal out of it, though. If you make a big deal, he might protest even more. (At least thats how it is with my little one.)
    Anonymous

• My son will go through phases of eating certain foods and then not liking them... we just keep offering then and eventually he starts eating then again (this past week he wouldn't touch fruit, his favorite food!)
    My son is a pretty good eater, but he's also gone though periods of not eating veges... and we just sneak them into things and he usually will eat them. Things that work well: Sweet potato fries, sweet potato chunks, corn, broccoli or cauliflower with cheese, vege pizza, cooked carrots..
    sometimes spicing things up helps too... my son loves garlic and cinnamon so adding a little garlic to his green beans or cinnamon to his carrots and he will eat them right up.
    We also have bought the vege/fruit yogurt by Yobaby and that was a hit (he even likes to dip other things like potato cakes into his yogurt - bleck- but he LOVED it)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2009