Not your usual diaper rash question

7 month old baby has a rash where the diaper meets her leg, on one side only, but it goes from her crotch all the way up her tummy. There is no urine etc touching her skin there, the rash is caused by the actual elastic on the diaper. Any ideas how to heal it and avoid it in the future? She is chubby. I am using seventh generation diapers - never had a problem with them with my toddler.

cristinaberger

Asked by cristinaberger at 12:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you switch to cloth? Even just temporarily so she can heal and then maybe try a different brand of sposie. (Although I'm not sure that other brands wouldn't cause the same problem, since Seventh Generation has milder chemicals in it than most)

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i work with toddlers on a daily basis at work. ive seen my share of nasty diaper rashes. most of the children that have the rash that spreads to their legs, has turned out to be a yeast infection. you could try lotrimin, and then put some sort of diaper rash cream on top of that. that normally helps clear up the rash. and if that doesnt work, you could always take her to her ped and they can prescribe you something to help! hope this helps!
    ucancallmemommy

Answer by ucancallmemommy at 12:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• A few things. One, try using aquaphor. It can help with basically any type of rash, diaper or not. Also, are you SURE that it is a rash, or is it possibly a yeast infection? My DD got a yeast infection when she was about 6 months old, and it went up her tummy, and even onto her thighs. The doc said the difference between a rash and yeast infec. is usually a yeast infec. is a consistent red, like it isn't blotchy like most diaper rashes.
    Anonymous

• Try changing to a new brand of diaper. My son wore luvs for a long time and then when we moved him into a size 4 they started bothering him. We swiched brands and it got better.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 12:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I recommend using aquaphor. It's great, thick lotion and it works well on teething rashes, dry skin, etc. Also try a larger sized diaper or a different brand to see if that helps. Also consider that it could be a different type of rash, so if it doesn't start to go away with basic treatment and new brand or size of diaper, maybe try some of the other diaper rash creams or yeast rash creams.
    Anonymous

• My youngest daughter used to get a diaper rash from disposables that had a blue or purple crotch center. Swtiching to those without that took it away. Her rash would spread down too just from being a toddler active.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• she is probably allergic to the elastic, how many types of diapers have you tried and have you considered cloth diapers? Cloth may help, you just have to find the right type that wont also irritate her with its elastic.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 1:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If you're set on sposies, is it possible that the elastic is a bit tight and she might need the next size? If not, then maybe a different brand. Or cloth if you are interested.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2009