My 4 year old is complaining with foot pain every morning.

He ask me for pain meds every morning because his foot hurts. He hates to take meds and I usually have to hold him down to take them so I know it isn't that he wants to take the pain meds. It is the top, middle part of his foot and all the way around his foot that he complains about. He has done this before but not days in a row. So I was thinking that it was growing pains. He has no other symptoms. What could this be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't think growing pains would be in his foot. They are usually in joints like the knees and hips. Maybe he has a splinter or sliver of glass under the skin. If it continues I'd take him to the doctor if you can't find it. Soak his foot in epsom salts or just warm water and glide your hand over the foot to find the spot where it hurts. I dropped a mirror on the top of my foot the other day and it hurts like heck but there are no bruises. Just find the spot that hurts and go from there.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• He could have broken a small growth bone (which can be painful) in the top region of his foot... I did it one time as an adult just by tripping over my own foot... take him to the dr and let him send him (your son) to an ortho to get it looked at...
    or you could try to wrap it yourself and keep him off of it... there is not always swelling with these types of small breaks and not all time do the ortho put casts on... but if it was me... bc they are painful... I would go to the dr ...

Hugs to the little guy...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009