I want to FF my baby at 5 months

and my mom says it's okay but can I use the same car seat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This post HAS to be a joke, or posted just to rile up the masses of extended rear facing supporters because I have never in my life heard of anyone wanting to turn around their baby at 5 months, I thought ALL mothers knew that they had to keep their babies facing REAR until at LEAST 1 year, I mean, I seriously thought that was common knowledge but maybe not.
    It is against the law to turn your baby forward at 5 months OP, not to mention very unsafe and if you want to do whats best by your child, you need to leave her facing rear as long as you can.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 12:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Well they aren't supposed to be FF till they are 1 year and 20lbs. My son was forward face when he was 5 months old, but he was 20lbs and this was 16 years ago. An infant carrier is REAR FACING ONLY. They are not made to be forward facing. There are convertible car seats that are rear and front facing, those are what you need
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• The reason the law says not to forward face your baby until at least One year old is because their spine is not developed enough before that to control their head enough if you were in a car crash. 5 Months is way too soon to face the car seat forward, and your baby could get severely injured or even die if you were in a car wreck while he/she is facing forward. Your the mom though.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I foward faced my son at about 4 months. My brother-in-law, a police with 4 kids :-), said if they can sit up and stay sitting for a few mins then they are ready.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 12:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• http://www.carseat.org/Resources/FAQs.htm
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Ask any CAR SEAT PROFESSIONAL and they will tell you it is NOT ok to FF until 1. But if you chose to do so, the infant carrier is NOT ok to FF, you need to get a convertable seat.
    Anonymous

• I think I would check with the pedi and the laws for year area rather than your mom. It's safest to rear face as long as possible. Most tates have a law that says 1 year AND 20 lbs. Whether or not you can use the same car seat depends on yoru seat. Some are designed to be rear facing and forward facing while infant carrier can only be rear faced.
    Anonymous

• You are supposed to wait until they are 1 year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• OMG, now reading one of the other responces....seriously, can there really be a police officer out there that advocated for turning around a FOUR month old?????? What on EARTH? Its against the law in EVERY state to turn them around before 1 year and they are simply NOT READY ...just because the baby can sit up does NOT mean their bones and muscle structer is strong enough to withstand the force of an impact if they are facing forward.
    Do ANY mothers do any research into these sorts of things anymore? I mean, I was 21 when I had my 1st baby and even then I knew that I couldnt turn around my baby before 1 year.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 1:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2009