Is it good to lose weight instead of gaining weight when pregnant?

i am 18 wks pregnant and the dr isnt saying anything about me losing weight. i have lost 15lbs since i found out i was pregnant. the thing is the baby is healthy and growing like she is suppose to. i eat like a pig and i cant seem to put on weight. any ideas on what to do.. again the dr hasnt said anything about the lose in weight

mjsmom09

Asked by mjsmom09 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i am just going off of what i have read in my pregnancy books. acc to them, as long as you are eating healthy and not trying to lose weight then you shouldn't worry about it. now if you were underweight to start with and still losing, i would be concerned. but if you were a healthy weight before, and are eating well, and your OB is not concerned, i wouldn't worry. i would expect that you will gain in the rest of your 2nd trimester and in your 3rd trimester. gl!
    Anonymous

• If the doctor isnt' worried, then you shouldn't either
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• y shouldnt i worry with my 1st daughter i gain 30lbs never lost any weight after i was 16wks
    mjsmom09

Answer by mjsmom09 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• You should demand an answer from your doctor. It may be diabetes. When you lose weight, ketones are released into your blood as a byproduct. This is why you are never supposed to try to lose weight when pregnant unless morbidly obese.
    Anonymous

• Every pregnancy is different. If the baby is on the right growth schedule then you are both doing well.

Nutrition is more important than weight. Eat only foods that are packed with vitamins and minerals. No junk. Take your supplements.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It may be NOTHING. Don't freak, I lost 30 lbs when I was preg. because I ate better, etc. the baby was FINE and my doc was perfectly ok with me losing weight because I was overweight to begin with. I agree with ecodani, as long as you are eating ok and baby is growing, do not stress about it, adding stress isn't good for baby.
    Anonymous

• Also, Anon :50, I was overweight, not morbidly obese, and losing weight during pregnant isn't a horrible thing like you're making it out to be.
    Anonymous

• sometimes in the first trimester or 2nd we may lose a few pounds because of nausea, sleeping and forgetting to eat, etc. if you feel healthy and the dr said the baby is fine then your probably fine...just be aware that the closer you get to the end of your 2nd trimester the dr will become more concern about your weight and may put you on ensure or certain foods to help you can weight and to assure that you are doing it in a healthy way...as of right now just eat nutritious meals, get plenty of fluids, rest, and supplements.
    kiyad22

Answer by kiyad22 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• o i was overweight too, and didnt start gaining until the end of my 2nd trimester because the dr put me on ensure
    kiyad22

Answer by kiyad22 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I lost about 20 lbs before I started to gain anything with this pregnancy (2nd pregnancy)....I was stressing about it and I brought it up at every appointment. I always go the same answer "As long as you are eating right and the baby is growing, dont worry about pounds."
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2009