Do you act like you care when a ceebrity dies?

I'm in no way trying to minimize the depression of death. But seeing people wear RIP shirts with celeb pictures or changing their facebook status to how sad they are and how much they'll miss this person THEY NEVER KNEW makes no sense to me. Grieving is for your loved ones. Why act like you loved someone just because they had a marketable talent? I don't mean to sound mean at all but c'mon. "She" wasn't your "baby girl" and "he" wasn't your "bro" and you're not going to "see them on the other side" because you'll have forgotten all about this person by the time you die in 60 years.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't "act" like anything. Death is a sad event. If it's a celebrity I was particularly fond of, I do grieve. I don't change my life over it, but I do have RIP shirts.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• No, not that it's not sad to see someone died, but it's the same as if any stranger died. Yes you feel bad for them and their family, BUT you have no emotional conection to them. And I think it is a little sick to use their death to draw attention to yourself.
    Anonymous

• I've never worn shirts, but I have felt real grief when a famous person died. For example, when Tim Russert died I felt like I lost someone I valued very deeply. I depended on his political savy and his thoughtful analysis to cut through a lot of the bunk. I don't feel the loss nearly has deeply as his family and colleges do, but still - it hit me hard and it did have an impact on my life.

That being said, I did not go around crying or pretending like this was the worst thing to ever happen to ME - which I think is what you're getting at?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Oh also - I think it's different for teenagers. Their worlds do revolve around certain celebrities. I remember when Curt Kobain died when I was 14 and it seemed like the world would end and music would never be good again.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I agree with beckcorc; she summed it up well. Also, sometimes people DO feel like they get to know a celebrity to a certain extent, and can develop attachments based on that. For me, mostly it's just kind of shocking that the person has passed away and we will never see him/her again. I don't really get sad, per se, with few exceptions...Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter) was one of them. I was a long-time fan and deeply admired his conservation efforts. I did cry when I heard of his death.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• no...lol... hey they werent sharing there money with me!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 1:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• i do feel bad cuz i watch them all my life and see their talent and i know that they have a family and i feel bad for them.. it sux ... i know even when i watch tv and someone dies in the city or something i feel bad cuz i know someone is hurting...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I don't wear t-shirts or anything like that, but I can tell you that I was and am very sad about the death of Patrick Swayze. I have loved that man since 4th grade when I saw Dirty Dancing. I followed his career and have always been very fond of him. No, I didn't personally know him, but it comes to a point where you feel like you know them. I was also very sad when Jerry Orbach died. I guess some people just have more compassion than others. Just because I didn't know them personally doesn't mean I can't care. I have distant family members whom I've never met that have passed and I didn't know them at all to really be sad . . . these people may only be on tv . . . but how many times have I seen them in my life? Countless times.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I agree with swaney06.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I was for some reason really sad when Princess Di died. My husband is on TV and while I think it's strange that people approach him and tell him they love his work, I have come to understand that they connect with him on TV. People feel like they know you when you're on TV or in movies. This of course, is to a much lesser extent!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2009