Gymnastics for boys?

Yes or no why or why not?

My son loves doing flips and stuff especially on the trampoline. I want to sign him up for gymnastics not only cause i think he will like it but to build up a bit ( i mean a bit) more muscle definition for football in the fall and also so he gets more exposure to a structured type of sport environment (between that and baseball and then football in the fall) so he gets used to having to listen to other adults (its a problem we have been working on, his doc says its a trust issue not a discpline issure) but my husband says gymnastics and tumbling is for girls only so i was wondering what you all think?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 12:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is ABSOLUTELY for boys! Has your husband ever watched the Olympics?! LOL Look in your local yellow pages for gymnastics programs in your area--they are CERTAIN to have age-appropriate boys programs that focus on strength and core building exercises and techniques and less "tumbling" and "dancing" especially as children get older.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/men/pages/index.php

Anonymous

• I did gymnastics my whole life. It's true that we always thought that boys who did it were gay (and most of them were). Now, 25 years later, as a parent I can see how great it is for boys. Try to find a place that has a good boys program. Don't put him in a girl's class! there are good boys programs out there. My husband would never let my sons do it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Has your husband watched the olympic games? Gymnastics is not just for girls. My son is in tap. He is the only boy in his class. But that doesn't seem to bother him. He loves to dance. If your son loves to tumble, by all means put him in gymnastics. It's a great energy outlet along with developing poise, confidence, grace, & upper body strength.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Many football and basketball players take dance and tumbling classes to build their balance and flexibility. Tell hubby he's a silly goose.

I used to work with child talent and many boys took dance and gym classes and could do insane physical stuff. They were extremely confident because the had so much practice being "on stage" and knew so much about their bodies.

If DS doesn't like it, then you can take him out. 6 weeks is a good trial period.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• My daughter's gymnastics school has co-ed classes and classes specifically for boys. Both varieties are well populated with boys who LOVE what they do.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• LOL! I'd invite your DH to come meet my daughter's gymnastics coach Mr. Rob. There's not a girl on the team, or in the gymnastics school (classes start as Mom-and-Me at 2 yrs and go through High School age) or her mother who does not have a crush on Mr. Rob. Nor is there a boy in the school that doesn't idolize him. Rob is an amazing gymnast in his mid-20s with the build of a weight lifter and the slightly tanned, tousled blonde hair, blue-eyed looks of a stereotypical surfer. He's a man's man and a heart throb. LMAO! Ain't nothing girly about him.
    Anonymous

• Our oldest son was a power tumbler and tramp competitor when he was younger. He competed nationally and was quite good. When he was in football, baseball and basketball he was excused from preseason conditioning because tumbling was the base for all other sports and he was in such good shape. When he and girls had same routine it was amazing because their grace came out and the boys strength came out. We live in small community and with the 3 gyms in area about 1/3 of classes wer boys. Not one of the guys have turned up gay but several of the guys on the "boy" sports have turned out gay. The sport adopted does not decide the sexuality of the athlete!

Anonymous

• I think my dh is more worried about him being ridiculed at school and other places for being the only boy on a girl team. Hes not worried about sexuality my son is five. Hes afraid that other boys will be cruel to him if they find out hes in gymnastics (or tumbling or whatever)cause its considered a girly sport!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 9:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• HECK YEAH!!

my 6 year old is one of 3 GIRLS in her tumbling class (out of 12). she goes to a professional gymnastics club. There are classes every night and every day and its a very even ratio of girls to boys.

all the medal winners out of that gym are the men (Kyle Shewfelt is the biggest winner) . (not that the women aren't good...but).

GO FOR IT! Most of the coaches are guys too (I'd say men but most are in their early 20s)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2009