Should I teach piano or quit because of scheduling?

I am a stay at home mom, and have two kids under 2. I have a babysitter that comes to watch the kids while I teach piano on 2 different days. The problem is, if she can't come, I have to reschedule my lessons. And, if the student needs to reschedule, I can't always because of the sitters schedule. This is so inconvenient for me, my sitter and my students. The income really helps us though. I'm afraid I will lose students because of this. Should I just quit and be broke? I've been teaching for 10 years. I don't know what else to do. It stresses the kids out too.

crystalhuskey

Asked by crystalhuskey at 12:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would find a more reliable babysitter.

Anonymous

• Can you get a backup sitter to cover if your regular sitter cancels? Or try to do some lessons on a Saturday or Sunday morning when maybe your husband or someone more reliable is available to take the kids for a little while? It does seem like a hassle but the extra income has to be nice. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I agree....I would find a more reliable babysitter. Sounds like you have a passion for teaching piano and I wouldn't quit.
    Shannon_leigh82

Answer by Shannon_leigh82 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Yep, agreed on finding a more reliable sitter or at least one who can consistently be there during the lessons you teach.
    If your lessons are at the same times on the same days then it's not a surprise to the sitter that she's needed on those days.
    Don't quit, just reevaluate the current situation.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2009