If you personally hated the idea of breastfeeding, Did you try it anyway?

Did you enjoy it after all or did you not like it just like you suspected?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Before I got pregnant, yes, the idea was really awful to me. I had some things in my past that didn't make me enthusiastic, so to speak. When my friends started having babies, I saw one or two breastfeed, and it didn't seem as awful as the picture I had in my mind. Eventually I read about the benefits, and I began to come around. So, by the time the baby got here, I really wanted to breastfeed. Now, I would say I'm an advocate!

I say give it a try. Worst case scenario, you hate it, and can bottle feed. If you don't do it, you might wonder later if you would have been okay with it. Just trying is a no lose situation for you!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I didn't hate the idea and I always planned to at least try, but I must confess it initially seemed kind of weird to me and I worried I might not like it. I ended upp loving it though, I breastfed exclusively for 7 months and wish I had lasted longer. I did not care for pumping at all though. I think it is an individual thing. I am pretty comfortable with my body which helped. I think it is worth trying for all of the upsides but I know it isn't for everyone. My feeling is that if you at least try something then you can say that you tried and it didn't work out, versus saying I didn't THINK it would be a good fit so I didn't even try. It isn't always a piece of cake to breast feed so you have to be willing to give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes. It can be one of the most special things to experience, though, so worth giving a shot.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I tried and decided to pass and formula fed instead.
    Anonymous

• Have you considered therapy to get to the bottom of your negativity towards something incredibly natural?

Answer by rkoloms at 1:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I hated the idea of pumping. I thought that it was the most disgusting thing in the entire world, just nasty. But I did it anyway because I worked and I knew that was what was best for my baby, so I did it, and it wasn't that bad. I assume nursing, even if you think it is disgusting, would be the same..
    Anonymous

• I wanted to so badly, but it just never felt right, my baby never took to my breast and I didn't want it to interfere with bonding. My kids are 5,4 and 2 and could not be closer. I ff, it was my choice, my dh supported it. Oh, to all the breastfeeding psychos out there, I will not be checking on this post again, so if you feel the need to bash, go ahead and waste your time :)
    Anonymous

• 100 years ago the thought of it being weird never would have crossed your mind. This is just a stigma in our society, one you can talk to a therapist about and find a whole new perspective and comfort with your body.
    Anonymous

• I hated it. I tried in the hospital and it was anything but a natural feeling for me. After 2 days I was so depressed that I wanted nothing to do with the baby and only held her when I was trying to nurse her. When she'd start to fuss because she was hungry I would burst into tears because I hated nursing her so much. I was so tense and unhappy I wished I had never had her. The moment I decided to just get a bottle was the moment I finally felt comfortable with her and wanted to hold her and be a mother.
    Best decision of my life and I don't regret it for a moment. She's 9 1/2 now and a normal, healthy girl. She's rarely ever sick and super smart (too smart for her own good sometimes).
    My other kids are 8, 7 and 3 1/2, also formula fed and all healthy and smart and happy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I can honestly say I dread the initial phases of it when this baby is born because it was so awful with dd and our issues and supply problems and figuring it all out...BUT I plan to try it again because it's healthier and cheaper and I want to give this little one as much effort as I did dd. NOTE: I'm not saying ff moms don't put in effort, I meant specifically putting in an effort to breastfeed because it's a personal choice. (Sad when you have to add a disclaimer to your thoughts, eh?)
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• yep, i always thought i wouldnt like it, i know i know its natural and mothers are made to do it, but it just wasnt for me i trully tried my hardest but i was comfortable and when you arent comfortable neither is your baby, so i FF and she is a perfect baby and im a not so bad mom too lol, all i have to say is you know your baby and you know your body do whats right for BOTH of you not just your baby and not just you
    xxSummaxx13

Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2009