Catholics, how would I get rid of a moldy unusable old bible. I do not believe it was ever blessed.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 1:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• From the Catholic Answers website:
    Q: What is the appropriate means to dispose of an old Bible?
    A: There is no specifically mandated means of disposing of old Bibles. Some Catholics follow a custom of disposing of religious articles that have been blessed either by burying or burning them, but even that is not mandated by law. If the Bible has been blessed you might choose to follow that custom. If not, dispose of it as you would any other book. If it’s still in fair condition, you might put it on a book donation table to benefit someone else.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 6:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Call your church rectory, I honestly don't know.

Anonymous

• I would just throw it away.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• are you Catholic mompam?
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 2:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I'm not Catholic. But am a committed Christian. It's the word of God that is Holy not the printed sheet itself. I'd personally put it with all other paper trash. In the recycling bin. But if it bothers your conscience to throw it away perhaps give it to someone who collects Bibles or put it somewhere to dry out and then store it somewhere safely?
    Anonymous

• I don't know for sure but in the past I had heard that you can get the bible blessed and bury in a respectful manner.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If it's moldy then dispose of it. It could become a health hazard. I'm all for treating a Bible with respect but I don't believe that God wants us to risk our health over a moldy Bible.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• bury it or burn it
    Anonymous

• If it has been blessed by a priest, it can be buried. If the Bible hasn't been blessed (and if you don't know for sure I think you can ume that it's not), it may be disposed of as you would any unusable book. If you're worried about people seeing it in the trash you could wrap it in a bag or cloth beforehand.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 4:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Put it in the paper recycling if it's not damp, otherwise throw it out with the wet trash. It's just a book, not hazardous waste.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2009