Did I do the right thing??

I have been working at walmart going on 6months almost 7..well I made a decision to quit due to it causing so much stress and being treated like crap! Well I've started having stomach problems,my chest started burning,my thyroid started acting up again...well another reason I quit was because you have to have so much open availability and I have 3 kids at home and my husband works late into the afternoon and I start in the morning and work late in the afternoon well as it turns out the bills were let to slide due to working so much I couldn't make time to pay them,my kids school work started slipping and the house well just went to complete hell...basically my kids was raising themselves and I felt guilty and grew to hate my job and resent it I did what I thought was best for the kids,my health, and me but do you all think I did the right thing??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yes
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• If you can afford it then I would say you are doing the right thing.. IF you are going to have to get on food stamps because of it or welfare, then I'd say to look around and get another job.. one that is more flexible and with less stress.
    Anonymous

• If you can afford to stay home you did the right thing. I feel exactly like you did, but quitting is not an option for me. I wish it was.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I think you did, as long as your bills are paid and you have food on the table...Do what YOU think is right for you and your family.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Anytime a job makes you ill or affects your life then you need to restructure, find a different job that meets both your needs and allows for your families demands. It is a crazy balancing act. With my job I actually felt a huge sense of relief when i was laid off even though i knew financially life would be hard we would stll make it.

Maybe find something that is part time while your kids are in school and that way your home when they are and you have time to deal with bills, errands, and housework. There is also no reason your kids cant do chores to help out, even my 5 y/o does chores.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I think you should have talked to management. Wal-Mart is a family oriented company. I used to be a manager at Wal-Mart for several years. I wrote the schedule according to availability. If I had someone come to me and explain family situations, or if they were being treated poorly I would do everything I could to accommodate them and make their life stress free. I had several single-mom's that had to be out by the time their kids got home from school, or mom's that their husband's worked third shift & had to be home then... I had college students who had to work around their school schedule. And people on SSI who could only work a set number of hours a week.
    You can always also apply for other positions within the store if it is the department you are having trouble with. If you haven't quit already, I would ask to talk with your assistant manager, if that doesn't work, go to the co-manager... and finally to the store mgr.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I have talked with the supervisor and store manager and they both called it bankers hours and to find a job in a bank if I wanted those hours but hey it's okay I'm glad I did quit for the sake of my health and kids walmart requires too much...the walmart I worked in made up their own stupid rules along with the main ones and after all I went thru I don't think changing depts. would make a difference but thanks for the advice:)
    Anonymous

• I think you know you did the right thing, but still want some reassurance. You don't have to have a job just for the sake of having a job. if your family is provided for and you are that miserable in your job, then there is no reason for you to stay. Take care of your kiddies, they're only little for so long :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2009