For all who have taken online classes...which do you consider the best online school?

I'm trying to get an idea of which online school to choose. I am currently going to school and only work part time now so, I think it would be best for me to take online classes to save money. Did you have good experiences with online classes? Were the instructors available when needed? I appreciate all replies...just trying to look at other options...Thanks :) Lisa

miz_blue

Asked by miz_blue at 1:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in

• I took classes with kaplan... loved the professors and the classes...hated the school. they were only in it to make money, unavailable, said i had loans and fin aid to pay for it and then canceled them for no reason and told me that i owed the 5,000 and canceled the program i was taking without notice as well.

If you want to take classes online, look into state university, and community colleges. purely online schools are in it for profit only and the degrees are not highly looked upon by employers.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too

Answer by rkoloms at 2:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I took my MS classes online through Walden University, a real university. I had the same instructor for most of my classes, and she was awesome, readily available by email, phone, cell phone, etc... The other teacher kind of sucked, but that's ok. She graded easy.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I took several online classes along with at-school classes at my community college and then the state university I went to.I loved the flexibility of "going to class" when it was convenient for my family, but had to be strong to take the time for me. I just shut the door and said "going to school tell dad if you need anything". I was lucky to have professors who kept good contact except for one who had a death in the family and left us in a lurch of NO contact for 3 weeks.
    I agree with the pps don't go through someplace that is online for profit they are not accredited the same way and the degrees might not mean anything in the career you are looking to get into. Most "real" colleges/universities now offer enough classes online that you can complete a degree taking only online courses.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I started at University of Phoenix-- but man you can just tell that they are a 2nd rate school. And way over priced.
    I switched to our local community college for about 1/3 of the cost. Most community colleges have programs that are entirely online. They are cheaper, and you honestly get a better education.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I go to Liberty University right now. But I did attend UMUC before but it didn't work for me (but did for my cousin). I plan on going to Northcentral University for my masters. You can check out www.classesusa.com to compare online schools.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:16 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• your local community college otherswise its going to be really EXPENSIVE! I only will take them through my local colege but pretty much did all my generals that way do to the kiddos.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Thanks! I'm actually already registered for next semester and just wanted to see if an online school would be better suited for me. I checked out the website comparing online schools, but figured I would get more accurate responses on here. Thanks again...Have a safe and Happy New Year!!
    miz_blue

Answer by miz_blue at 12:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Stay away from the University of Phoenix. I am taking online courses through my local technical college. The majority of my classes can be taken on line through the technical college.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2009