How long does it take to heal from a C-Section?

My sister in law had a C-Section a month and a week ago. She seems fine to me walking around and bending and picking up stuff etc. She had a "normal" C-Section no complications or anything like that. Now my question is how soon can she like mop and sweep lol. I ask this because she lives with us and she will cook and leave all her dishes there and won't mop, sweep or do anything at all at the house. At first I was fine with it since she just had a baby and all, but I think it's gotten ridiculous she has me tie her freaking shores supposedly because she can't. So I'm just fed up, but I have never had a C-Section that is the reason I am asking. Should I be a little more understanding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was doing all that by 2 weeks post partum. I could certainly tie my own shoes within the first week or so! Sounds like she's just milking it.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• after a month i would think she would be cleared for all activity(except heavy lifting). Only restrictions i had were of course lifting, and no driving for 3 weeks. after a month i was back at school, taking the steps and all.

I don't think you have any unfair expectations.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 weeks after my Csection, and I swept after a couple weeks but my mom came over to do the mopping and my dh did the bathrooms. She should definitely be able to do her own dishes - if she's cooking, she can clean up. She may claim "no time" and it may seem that way to her with a new baby, but they usually tend to sleep a lot right at first so she should be able to find the time to clean a few dishes.

Answer by missanc at 2:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I was no longer sore after a week and doing Bikram(hot) yoga at 6 weeks PP. Bikram is very intense yoga performed in a room heated to 104-110 degrees.
    Anonymous

• ..I'm anon :41....I had my docs ok of course.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the PP that she may be milking it. I had an emergency c-section, also 1 month and 1 week ago. I am back to sweeping, mopping, doing dishes, and various other chores & have been since week 3.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 3:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Wait until she has had her postpartum check up. Usually 6 weeks. If the doc says she's Ok, then she's Ok.
    Gooberzilla

Answer by Gooberzilla at 5:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I was doing dishes and cleaning the bathroom 2 1/2 days after my last c-section because my husband wouldn't help me out. With all my others my husband let me take a break. So I had until he was back to work (about 1 1/2 weeks after the c-section) and then I was on my own with a newborn and older kids and all my chores. The only thing I didn't do was carry laundry up and down stairs. I took it easy (doing as little as needed) the first few weeks but after that I had to start cleaning because the house was a wreck.
    It was just me and the kids. After my 3rd section I had to deal with the newborn, 13mo and a 2yo. I had to ignore the whole "no lifting anything heavier then the baby" thing because someone had to get the 13mo in and out of his crib and high chair and it was just me. I never had any help after my c-sections.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I was back to my long walks within a few weeks, I was doing dishes almost as soon as I got home. Mopping, vacuuming, anything that requires that much core strength might take a bit, but she should be able to do that stuff by 8 weeks at the latest. I wouldn't ask her to move a piano, but she can certainly do dishes and pick up after herself, fold laundry (but maybe not lifting heavy loads of it), and care for kids.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2009