how you you get past your instilled religion?

i was raised catholic and im against everything that they are about but i cant let go of "traditions" i have religious pictures and such in my house even though its not what im (or my husband) is about. i thinking about donating all the religious stuff but a part of me feels guilty for even thinking that ..how do i get past this so i can start being me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• WHY do you have them do they come from people you love do they remind you of an aunt or nana whose passed on because if thats the case then keep them but if they are strictly religous and you have no personal attachemnt to them then just get rid if them you will feel so much better
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 3:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• if you like them keep them! I love crosses, and angels and whatnot but I'm an atheist.
    maybe put them away for awhile and see how you feel-if you want to get them back out later then there is no rule saying you can't have them around ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I was a converted catholic in 2005 (husband was a cradle catholic) - and was fully involved youth group leadership, couple's marriage prep, etc. But both my hubby and I became a little disenfranchised with the whole business. He was president of the parish council and all - but was tired of the politics involved. He resigned his post, when he went to the priest with parish members' concerns and they continually made decisions without the acquiescence of the parish. We still believe in God, but really are done with organized religion as a whole. We don't like our government guilting us into their "charities" and scaring us all to behave any more than a church should be doing the same thing. We feel we should only have to answer to God...everything else is "man-made."

It is hard though, because I certainly miss the fellowship, they are good people - the "organization" is just no longer for us...
    Anonymous

• Passing them on to those who appreciate them will be a blessing to both you and the recipient so there should be no guilt. I have a friend who calls me the Keeper of Things. I keep things until someone needs them then I give them as a gift or a donation to those who need them. It's all good. Keeping something you don't want or need cheats you out of a blessing and keeps someone else without the item(s) they may want but can't get any other way.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I have a green celtic cross in my bedroom and im wiccan. so no big deal maybe because i only like celtic irish stuff. but i dont own any other religious stuff because im not.
    Anonymous