• In the Spotlight:

How did you react when you were told you were "high risk"?

I couldn't understand why, I have anxiety and anxiety related blood pressure issues. I was told by the midwife I saw for the first time today she was referring me to an OB and considering me high risk...my blood pressure was 110/70 clearly not high. She said I would be lucky if anyone touched the "case" due to my med use which is labetalol for blood pressure, klonopin which is getting cut out and has been tapering down, zoloft for panic disorder and some pain meds :-/ does this mean I am high risk for HER or a high risk pregnancy I didn't understand and took it the wrong way I think...I took it as there is something terribly wrong. She did no tests or ultrasound and wouldn't consider my LH surge date as an indicator for ovulation and is going by my LMP even though I had extremely irregular cycles varying 56-34 days!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sounds like you are high risk for her, but with the meds you are on monitoring may need to be increased by an OB.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It honestly sounds like you would be better off with an OB that that particular midwife. =) I hope it all works out for you. I've never been told I was "high risk" so I can't really say how I would react.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I would suggest consulting with an OB. Labetolol is perfectly fine to take in pregnancy, its what they give women who need meds for pregnancy induced hypertension. However, hypertension of any kind can lead to growth restriction in the baby, which you will need to be monitored for, and your zoloft and klonipin levels should be monitored by a doctor to make sure they are either discontinued properly or continued at a level that won't hurt the fetus. I don't think you are necessarily high risk, but complicated might be a better term. Looks like that midwife doesn't really like complicated.
    Gooberzilla

Answer by Gooberzilla at 5:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• thank you ladies so much, complicated makes more sense. I felt down right discriminated against :( like she was using all the words to scare me on purpose. I thought I was going to get an ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy etc etc they didn't do anything, she didn't even listen for a heartbeat. Now I have to wait until Jan. 22nd to see the OB and I am very unhappy about that but I guess that is all I can do, or fire them but that is money taken out of my pocket $510 for what?? that is what I wanted to say, I think I may switch docs anyways now I have a bad taste in my mouth about them :( I will call them tomorrow. She was making it seem like she was doing me a favor by making it like she was talking one of the OBs in the practice into taking me, wtf. grrr. only me.
    Anonymous

• I think your midwife was honest enough to realize what her limitations were and where she needs support from experts or people with a higher knowledge base than what she posses and kudos to her for been real about it.

bebita

Answer by bebita at 8:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• interestingly she talked to my husband yesterday at like 5p...he told her I was high risk for HER and she was working WITH the OB that I had to be monitored into the later months by the OB due to a history of high blood pressure in my past/fast pulse and if the OB says a go then she can assist for the labor. Now I am confused. I blew it out of proportion of course....though a better explanation would have suited well too. I got spoiled by my GP, he explains every tiny detail to me and then shows me how to look it up on the internet and tells me why he refers me to "specialists" I guess that is the other reason she is not making me get an ultrasound so quickly my meaning for high risk and her's were in different orbits :-/ I really want an u/s I want to hear the heart beat or confirm something that the baby is okay because I got trampled by a horse last week and she knew that too! oh pity party!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Dec. 30, 2009