How can I get my 10 months old daughter to sleep through the night?

My daughter has the same night time routine. She bathes at 7, and then at 7:30 pm she has a bottle. Then time for bed....around 8:00 or 8:30 pm. Problem is she is 10 months old, being bottle fed and only eats about 15 oz. a day of formula. She is eating more solid foods, and enjoying them. Nutritionist says it is not bad but she should be having 26-30 oz. of formula a day. How can I let her cry thru the night? She goes down at 8 ish, gets up at 12:30 pm and around 4 am, then 7 am. This is not good. I hate the sound of her crying...HELP...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have three Bio children and understand exactly what you are feeling. I learned by the third child that sometimes a cry is just your child's way of expressing her anger and frustration. It does not mean there is anything "wrong". Sometimes it helps to remind yourself what the cry really means. She is not crying in pain she is screaming "Woman, do as I tell you.. PICK ME UP!!" It sounds like you are doing everything right. Your obviously loving and nurturing. Teaching your child that she can handle sleeping through the night without you is a positive thing. You kinda just have to let her crying break your heart out of sight. She will eventually figure out that you WILL respond when she needs you but not just give in to her every whim.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 2:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Just to let you know, My first born sleep with me tell she was 3!! Wow, was it a long drawn out nightmare to teach her to sleep through the night in her own bed. My 2nd sleep with me until 2. Talk about heartbreaking, he would walk up to my bed and scream and try to crawl back into my bed. I just kept reminding him that I loved him but he had his own bed. By the third child I learned to put him in his own crib by 9 months. A few weeks of him screaming through the night and my being consistent and it was over. He has sleep through the night since. I wish I knew better the first time around I could have saved us both a lot of heartache.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 3:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• patience!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I'm assuming she is waking during the night to eat? You should stop giving her a bottle at night. Slow down on the solids until she's getting as much formula as she needs. By 10 months, it may take some crying to get her to sleep through the night.
    Anonymous

• Ok well i hate to break your bubble hun but for babies "sleeping all night" in the doctors eyes is normally only 4 hrs or so,there's really not a whole lot you can do,is she by any chance teething,that may have something to do with it.My daughters in bed by 8:30 or 9:00 every night and she usually gets up around 7-7:30 sometimes 8.and she doesnt wake up crying tho,she layes in her crib and play for awhile then she gets hungry and starts fussing,but i normally have her before she cries.Good luck
    Anonymous

• Cut back on the solids. Formula first. If she wakes to eat feed her. She IS sleeping through by the way. As she mayures she will sleep longer. Right now her pattern is normal/ All babiess and adults night wake...even if the adults do not remember, I always say that parenting does not end at sundown.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• you are saying that sleeping in 4 hour intervals is normal? then why do people say that she should be sleeping from 8 pm to 5 am straight?
    lisaturo125

Answer by lisaturo125 at 7:33 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I don't believe that babies "should" sleep through the night. But I know some do, I just don't agree that it's "normal."
    But, I also think your baby is waking up out of hunger. Please do not deny her! If she's getting that little formula, a good 10 oz. less a day than even a nutritionist says she should, I would think she'd continue to wake up at night to try to get the nourishment she needs. Solids are not usually as calorie/fat/nutrient rich as formula, so she will not meet her needs through those at 10 months. I would follow the same solids guideline that breastfeeding moms do: formula first, then solids. That way she is not filling up the space in her tummy with solids and leaving little room for formula. Get her to take more formula during the waking hours and I'll bet she sleeps better at night. Again, please don't deny her a bottle during the night. From what you've posted, it seems that she needs it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Because people don't realize that we all have periods wherewe wake at night, and babies more so, because they do not remember waking or their babies don't call out. People wongly assume that if their babies do not wake the house that baby never wakes. Not true! We all wake at least once to pee, get a drink, adjust blankets, etc if the need is urgent or preventing sleep...a baby can't meet their own needs. The can't make their own bottle the way a pregnant woman can get a snack. Teething and major milestones also affect their length of sleep. The first year is very very variable, and sleep patterns won't be mature and more settled until 3-4 years old. Just before a growth spurt hunger is more urgent making baby wakeful more often then there is a period of longer sleep during the spurt. 9 hours is a long time to fast and may happen occationally, but don't expect it to happen all the time.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:38 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• What people really mean when they say "she should be sleeping from 8 pm to 5 am straight" is that THEY aren't being disturbed enough to remember waking themselves. Sure you can condition her not to call you for food or comfort, but that won't mean she'll not be hungry or wake up anyway.

If she's well rested and happy, a brief wake to address a need is good and indicates that she's had enough healthy sleep. Letting her cry after a wakeup is just a lot of unneeded stress and interrupts a healthy seep pattern, while the few minutes of eating is soothing and encourages a calm return to sleep.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:44 AM on Dec. 30, 2009