what kind of cat would be good for an autiusm child?

lildemon86

Asked by lildemon86 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is the child? Young kids don't do too well with cats but you might ask a vet tech (any vet's office). Some breeds are really not nice. American and British shorthairs are nice. Tuxedo cats seem to be nice and Maine Coons are nice. Avoid calico, Siamese. Good luck but I'd just ask a vet.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• None

Answer by missanc at 4:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• Any cat breed is nice you just have to find the "right Cat" for your situation.You may also want to look into a show called Cats 101 (they actually had a show about a child with Autism that flourished with a Cat on the show very interesting)on Animal Planet (they probably have the same information on there website) they have a lot of information on the show about health,personality traits etc,etc about the different breeds
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• I'm sorry about my very "short" answer before. It's hard enough to teach a typical toddler to treat cats nicely, to pet them softly, to not pull the tail, but with a child with autism . . . it all depends on the severity of your child and what level he functions at. My now 12 year old has moderate autism, he's not mainstreamed in school, he's in a separate class and when he was little we had to put a cat door in my bedroom and leave the door closed so he could get away from my son. My son loved that cat and still talks about him, even though he died when my son was only 6 but he just didn't understand "gentle touches" and "don't pull" I would think seriously before getting a cat (or any pet) with a toddler who has special needs of any sort. It would be better to wait until he's a little older and can understand more.

Answer by missanc at 6:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2009

• It depends on if the cat should run or be accepting of being handled. From my understanding, Ragdolls are very laid-back, they will allow you to hold them, but at the same time... playful. However, every cat is different. I have three cats. My fiance and I got them before my son was born, as kittens. We handled them roughly to get them accustomed to rough touches. (Light ear tugging, poking, pulling on tail, handling paws, etc. But not to the point of inflicting pain.) My cats are mixed-breeds though. They usually run from my son. Toddlers are very rough. You will have to understand that any animal will lash out if they think they are in danger. My son will hit them, pull them, chase them everywhere. I have to watch him very, very closely and make sure the cats have safe place to escape to (I gate off my bedroom so the cats can jump over the gate, and I have a cat tree.) Declawing a cat makes it more prone to attacking.
    Anonymous

• Declawing a cat does NOT make them more prone to attacking! Maybe your cat is that way, but every cat I (and my family members) have ever owned has been front declawed, and none of them are/were any more aggressive. It all just depends on the cat's natural personality (just like people are all very different, so are cats), and it also depends on how they are treated by the owners as they are being raised.

And please, do not roughly handle your animals just so they "get used to it"! Always treat them with gentleness, love, and care, so when they do encounter rough situations they are patient through them! You will find that your animals will be much kinder and sweeter at heart- to everyone- instead of just "tolerating". Otherwise you have a very good possibility of ending up with a persnickety tempered animal for the rest of their life- not good for you or them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2009

• If you would like to get a cat for your autistic child, remember that you will be doing most (if not ALL) of the work. If you're up for that, head to the shelter and look for a cat in the "teenage" time, about 9-12 months. At this point they will be mostly past the adorable yet quite obnoxious super-playful kitten stage. You will be able to teach them the rules of your home and life without too much trouble.
    Avoid the natural biters and look for the ones who like to snuggle up to your neck and make eye contact with you. These natural lovers are hard to find but oh-so worth it if you find one! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2009